Stardust

Perhaps I tried to fix things up too much, becoming far too optimistic that my plans would be accepted by the masses. River had once confessed to me he felt as if his entire life, he felt as if his purpose had been built around running a pack – more specifically Eternal Shadows. We both understood the deal I had signed with Finley, how it gave those without a pack no power in the government. If River were to have nothing when all of this is said and done, then he would have no home to return to...just like his own parents. Yet, when I announced Silvercrest Ridge would be his and all I need is his signature, River could not look at me.

So here I sit, the necklace around my throat pinching my skin as I straighten my posture, tapping my fingers on my thigh as I wait. I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity, needing to establish what must be done before we head east to fight Keva and those who once served River.

The turning of a doorknob catches my attention, my eyes locking with River's as he passes into the room. Though he does not look surprised to see me here, I can tell this will not be a pleasant conversation.

"I do not need your pity, Leala," River informs, walking through the room as he passes me by, heading for the dresser as I can tell he was just out for a morning run. "I have received enough of that from everyone within this damn house."

"I am not trying to offer you a pack out of pity," I correct, standing up as I walk over to River. "Offering you a pack is a way to open doors for you into the government. It is a way to establish power for you in the new kingdom rather than being just another mediocre name in a history book."

A soft laugh escapes his lips as River grabs his clothes for the day, shaking his head as he slams his dresser doors shut and snaps his head my direction. "You do not think I could do that on my own?"

"To be part of the Senate you need a pack. We both know my scope of power is limited and if you were to sit on my council, it will raise questions."

River peers down at me, silence passing through us as he sets his clothes atop his dresser, crossing his arms as he leans back against the piece of wooden craftwork. "I could give a damn about the masquerades Finley, Yusuf, and all those little twats will partake in. I was once an Alpha of Eternal Shadows and I loved the people I served and the people who actually served me. Those pack members who were slaughtered...they were my family." I watch those golden eyes become watery. "I cannot just take on another pack for your political gain. I will not become your puppet in the Senate. I do not want to be in the Senate, to watch the vultures pick apart the dying, and tear one another to pieces to gain political favor."

I hold my head high, biting the side of my cheek as I watch River wipe away a stray tear. "Then what do you want? When the war is done and Keva is defeated, where do you wish to go? To do?"

Watching, I notice how River takes a step closer into me, his scent enveloping me as a finger brushes against my jawline. "I do not wish to be like my parents with no place to call home." I nod, feeling the warmth of his body against my own. "Put me on your Council. I could give a damn about what people would say or the power it offers me. People will talk no matter what you do."

A small smile tugs at my lips as I try and suppress it, hearing from River's lips how he would choose to stay by my side, on my own Council, than keep a place in the Senate. "Yet what of Silvercrest Ridge?"

"What happens to Crimson Lock when you become queen?"

"They become the royal pack," I explain, "The royal pack has always been given the capital – the citadel – to live in. Once funds are allocated and homes, shops, and whatnot built, they will move up here as well as others who will have business in the palace."