Chapter Ten

Asher

I heard a soft knock on the door. A pregnant- and I mean very pregnant woman walked in with a child in her arms. I let go of my mate and walked up to the woman. "Hi. I'm Jordyn, Ryan's mate" She introduced herself.

"I'm Alpha Asher of the Blue Moon Pack. I'm also Genevieve's mate." At the mention of Genevieve, the kid took his head off of Jordyn's shoulder. He studied me for a moment.

His blue eyes watched me. "You're Eve's mate?" He asked. I smiled at the kid and nodded. "Are you gonna help her?" he sniffled.

Jordyn was struggling with the kid, so I grabbed him from her. She thanked me and walked towards Genevieve. She kissed her forehead and whispered lowly, so I couldn't listen. Not that I would. I feel like I should leave if someone wants to talk to Genevieve.

I carried the kid to the chair and sat him on my lap. "Auntie Jordyn said that my sister is sick." He rubbed his eyes as he cried. "She's gonna be okay right?"

He looked up at me. His eyes piercing through mine. I gently wiped his tears with my thumbs. "I don't know, kid," I told him honestly. Tears began to gather in my own eyes. "I'll do whatever I can to help her." I declared.

"Promise?" he asked. I quickly nodded.

"Come on Matthew. I think you need to rest," Jordyn said.

"When are Mommy and Daddy coming home?" the kid, Matthew, asked while getting of my lap. Jordyn turned away from us, and I faintly heard her sob.

He obviously doesn't know. "Matthew." the kid turned around to look at me. "How 'bout you let your Auntie say goodnight to Genevieve. You can show me your room, and I'll tuck you in," I offered. I don't wanna leave Genevieve, but it won't take long.

"Okay. Can I say goodnight to Eve first?" He asked. I nodded and he walked towards his sister. He tried whispering so I couldn't hear. Tried being the key word. "Your mate is gonna tuck me in. I like him," he said. I smiled. "Goodnight Eve. Feel better." He kissed his sister's cheek and walked to me.

"Ready?" I asked. Matthew nodded and grabbed my hand. As we walked out, I turned to Jordyn, who mouthed 'thank you'. I nodded and Matthew led me out the room. He opened the door to a Toy Story themed room. The walls were a light blue color with small yellow stars scattered around. There was a toy box overfilled with cars, Legos, balls, and other toys. The floor was surprisingly not covered in toys. His bed was made, showing off the Toy Story bed covers.

Matthew let go of my hand and pulled the covers up. He slid onto the small bed and got comfortable. He pulled his arms out from under the blanket and motioned for me to come closer. I started walking, while he scooted over.

He patted the side of the bed for me to sit. "Can you tell me a story?" Matthew asked.

I nodded and recalled a story my mom used to tell me. "A very long time ago, there was a mean Alpha. He wasn't a good leader, but then he met his mate. She was scared of him. He changed just for her. The Alpha was nicer, and his pack got stronger. The power of mates and the power of love helped him" I told the gist of the story. Obviously, I'm the worst story teller ever.

However, Matthew still let out a yawn. I got up and started tucking him in. "Did Eve help you?" Matthew asked sleepily.

"Yeah. She did. I wasn't very nice when I met her," I admitted. "But I'm changing. For her." Hopefully.

"Do you love her?" Matthew asked. Before I could answer, his eyes started to close and his breathing steadied as he fell asleep.

I stood in his room, thinking about his question. Do I love her? I'm attracted to her. I want to protect her. I'm trying to wake her up by being here. But love?

I shook the thoughts out of my head and headed back to my mate. I walked in and noticed that Jordyn already left. I sat on the chair by Genevieve's bed and held her hand. I stared at her pale body and began to cry. "I'm so sorry," I sobbed. I apologized over and over again. "This is all my fault and I will never forget it." I kissed her hand. "Please wake up. I'll make it better. I'll fix this. Just wake up," I pleaded.

Her heart-rate was constant, never faltering as I talked. She never moved. Not one twitch. I can't help but think about her never waking up. She could die from this. And it will be my fault.

My mate's death would be on my conscious.