Sixteen

"Are you going to be long in there?" My annoying brother called from outside.

"I'm finished" I put on some moisturiser on my face and walked out into my room.

Today was the first day back at school, and I could see myself in big trouble since I missed the final week of tests but they will hopefully let me take them after school during this week.

I pulled on a simple black top and my black jeans with red converse and my leather jacket. After that, I fixed up my room and my school bag then walked downstairs.

Altogether, it's been almost a month since Ross died and I'm still wearing all black and random flashes of colour. Nothing needs to be said, I just can't get over him.

"Fuck!" I kicked my door when I remembered something. I have therapy today, doctors orders.

Everybody thinks I will end up dead myself so I am constantly being checked up on. For instance, yesterday, my dad walked in on me getting dressed.

So I do everything to avoid my family. I live mostly on granola bars, milkshakes and the occasional pizza slice I find in the fridge. But today I grabbed my chocolate milkshake and two granola bars then left the house without a word.

I plugged my earphones in and began my walk across the park, munching a granola bar. My music was worryingly loud, so loud that I didn't even hear a dog barking towards me.

I shrieked and backed away from the giant husky on its hind legs reaching for my face. "Whoa!! Hunter stop!"

A girl with short brown hair ran over. She wore the same attire as me, only that she wore a Beatles t-shirt.

"Sorry! Oh my god!" She spoke through gritted teeth as she clipped the lead on her dog and pulled him back. "I swear to god he's friendly, just hyperactive"

I smiled and knelt down to pet him. "It's fine, he's really cute"

"I'm Harmony" she shook my hand.

"Amelia-"

"You're that girl on the news!" She yelled which startled me. I had to laugh at her face a little. "Sorry about that, and what happened"

"I can't say it's fine because it isn't but, don't worry" I shrugged. "Anyway, I really need to go"

"You go to Seaview High, right? Can you come with me to drop off Hunter and then hopefully my mom can give us a lift?" Harmony suggested. "Plus why the hell are you leaving so early?"

"I don't really know, and, sure I guess" I shrugged and began to follow her, small talk being created.

+++

I approached my locker quickly as the halls flooded with students walking towards the canteen. I stuffed in my Maths, History and Business notebooks in there and took out another granola bar.

"Hey" a voice spoke and I looked to the side in alarm. "Over here"

Her mahogany brown hair was dyed blue at the tips, matching her piercing eyes. Her whole demeanour shouted confidence. "I heard about Ross on the news. Sorry about that"

I smiled. "Thank you"

"Look, if you want to hang out with us we're up for it. I'm McKenzie but Kenzie will do" she shook my hand.

"Hi Amelia" Harmony approached us. "Hi Kenzie"

"Hey" Kenzie turned to me. "In fact, come along you two"

"Where are you going?" I asked as we walked to the front entrance.

"Meeting my college friends for lunch and then bunking the last two periods" Kenzie shrugged as she began climbing up the gate. I looked to Harmony who shook her head.

"It's just Music, Mr Carmichael won't care" I put a hand on the gates. She still shook her head.

"You can go, I'll see you later, yeah?" Harmony smiled.
"I'll text you after therapy" I gave her a hug and began to climb up the gates with Kenzie.

Once we got onto the main road, she lit a cigarette. A chuckle came from her when she caught me staring at her intensely. "Never seen a cigarette"

"No, y'know..he used to smoke-"

"I'm sorry, I'll get rid of it" Kenzie said.

"No, it's fine" I shrugged.

We walked in silence, only the sound of passing cars and leaves as background noise.

Until she broke the silence. "Would you like one?"

"A what?"

"A cigarette silly" she smiled and lit one for me. "It isn't half as bad as people say"

I took a drag. It was almost like someone had exchanged the oxygen in my lungs for bleach and acid. But soon, it actually felt kind of relaxing.

Kenzie laughed. "Told ya- SSUP guys"

We reached three guys leaning on some bike stands.

"Ssup Kenzie" one proceeded to hug her. "Who's this?"

"This is Amelia, my newest friend" then she turned to me. "Amelia, this is Mike, Brady and Toby. College dudes"

I shook their hands. "Hi"

They all replied with either an 'hey', a nod & a smile or both.

"How old are you Amelia?" Brady (I think) asked me.

"I'm 18, you?"

"21" he answered.

"She was Ross' girlfriend guys" Kenzie pushed open the door to a restaurant who's name I didn't even catch.

"Oh man" Mike touched my shoulder. "So sorry. He was a cool dude"

"I've heard that from everyone today so let's push past that, but thank you anyways" I smiled at them all as we sat at a table. "Anyway, tell me the story of this friend group"

hoe don't do it *smokes* oh my god