Chapter 8: Finding Out

Anthony Knight

It's been a few months since the lake, and my sister is looking thinner. I worry about her, she's my little sister. Xander is beginning to freak out and asking what's wrong with her, but no one is telling him. I've told Stella, to tell him, but she scared that he's just going to see her as 'cancer girl.' I understand where she's coming from, but Xander loves her.

We have our first game of the season this Saturday. Uncle Rick got Stella a special jersey, the top half has Xander's number and last name, and the bottom half has my number and last name. Stella is the only person ever to have two names on her jersey, everyone else just has one. "I'm excited to see you guys play. Mom and I will be in the family seating in the front." Stella tells me. Xander is hugging her from behind, and Stella looks very frail. "Me too, baby. You, cheering me and your brother on." Xander states, granted it sounds a little weird, but I love my sister and I want her happy.

We get to school and go to class. While I was in History 1431, I got a call from Rosemary. I answered it immediately and asked her what was wrong. I was getting yelled at to hang up by my professor, but to be honest, right now I didn't give two shits about his class. Rosemary frantically tells me, "We we're walking to class... and... and that Branson guy comes walking up... he... shoved Stella's shoulder hard. She fell... I-I can't get her up. She's...is unconscious. He didn't even look apologetic or remorseful. I called 911, your mom, and you. I don't know if I should even consider calling X-Xander. Y- You have to come; the ambulance won't get here for another 5 minutes. P-please hurry!" She ends up sobbing out the last few words. I look over at Xander, and tilt my head towards the door. "I'm not so sorry professor, but I have a family emergency, and I really need to leave. So does Xander since it involves him." I tell professor whatever his name is, he then responds with a why.

I'm starting to get frustrated now. "It's a family emergency! Which part don't you understand?" I basically rant on him. He gave me the stupid 'If you don't give me a reason, I can't let you go' speech. I glare at him, "My sister is unconscious, you prick. Now may I go to my sister?" He looks taken back, but nods. Then asks, "Why is Mr. Stone going?" I take a deep breath and just about to respond, Xander says, "She's my girlfriend for crying out loud. Now let us go!" The professor nods again, and we pack up or stuff and leave.

When we get to the hallway with Stella and Rosemary in it, Rosemary is crying and there is a crowd. Branson is in the corner laughing his ass off. If only he knew why Rosemary was worried and crying. I crouch down and check Stella's pulse and breathing. Oh, thank God, she's still breathing and has a pulse. I let out a sigh.

The medics come with a gurney and put Stella on it. "Is there anything we should know before we take her?" One of the medics asks. I nod my head and look at Xander, then back at the medic, "She has stage 3 breast cancer." I hear a sharp breath in take from my left, the medics nod. "When was her last round of chemo?" Medic two asks. "Thursday. I went with her." Rosemary replies. "OK. Meet us at Santa Rose Hospital." We all nod, and they leave, Xander going with. I text mom, and Uncle Rick.

Once we all are at the hospital, Xander pulls me aside. "How come no one told me? How come Star didn't tell me?" He said more, but I didn't get them all. "To answer both your questions, Stella didn't want to be viewed by you as 'cancer girl'." He looks taken back after I said that. "Well how long has she had it?" Xander asks, and I'm not sure if I should tell him. I tuck in my lips in my mouth to try and think. Mom comes over and says, "She's has had it since she was 12. So, 7 years." Xander looks heartbroken, but not mad. "I would never see her as 'cancer girl.' She is, and always will be my heart, and my star." Mom and I look at Xander in adoration.

"Family of Stella Knight," called Dr. Owens. We walked up to him, "I am Stella's oncologist. Based on the big bruise on her shoulder, someone has shoved her real hard, and when she fell, she hit her head on the floor rather hard. She is stable now, but a little weak at the moment. Stella is awake and asking for you all though. Please follow me, and I'll take you too her." We all nod automatically. I really need to see if my sister is okay. Inside I'm 100% freaking out.

Once we all get to her room, mom and I run calmly up to her bed. "Stel," mom and I say at the same time, "my baby girl." We hug her gently, "Oh come on guys, I'm not dead yet." Stella tries making us laugh but ends up with her laughing. "That isn't funny Stella. We we're all freaking out." Rose states. Xander is in the back of the room, sitting against the wall. I wave him over, but he shakes his head no. I sigh. "Uh... Can someone, take the wig off? It's starting to itch my head." Stella asked, and I nod. I take it off her head and set it on her bedside table. I hear Xander take another sharpness of breath.

"Is there any chance we could get that Branson guy expelled?" Stella asked, we all took a deep breath, but Rosemary. "I told him not to do anything to me because of cancer... He doesn't know, but he did threaten me. Told me if I didn't get him back on the football team, he was going to make my life a living hell. Plus, Rose saw what happened, and so did the cameras in the hallway." Stella tells us, so I look up at mom. "I guess it's time we go to the Dean, and gather up uncle, and a few other professors that don't like that kid." I say, and mom nods.

Stella starts coughing roughly, and signals water. Xander gets up, Stella looks hopeful, but Xander walks out of the hospital room. I hand Stella the water, "He hates me. I guess I deserve it. Dr. Owens says I can leave tomorrow, so I can go to your game tomorrow night. Maybe Debra is right, and cancer should kill me." Mom and I are pissed. "She said what?????" Yelled mom.

I leave mom and Stella to talk and go find Xander. I find him in the hallway pacing. "Now you can't even look at her?" I state/ ask irritated. "I don't know what to say or do. How do I treat her now?" He asks and I give him a deadpan look. "You treat her like your girlfriend. Like my sister. Like she's the best damn thing to ever happen to you. Treat her the same. She may have cancer dumbass, but my sister is the strongest fucking person I know. And now she's thinking that you hate her; and that Debra, my dad's girlfriend, was right to tell her that her cancer should kill her." He nods at the first part, and then his face turns into shock on the last part. "I could never hate her. I love her more than anything." He say whole heartedly. "Then get your ass in there and be with her. If you walk away from her, you walk away from our friendship, and my uncles' team." I state.

I walk back into the room and wait to see what Xander will decide. I sit on the couch in the room with Rosemary, and mom in the chair right of my sister's hospital bed. Leaving the left chair empty.

It takes a few minutes, but Xander comes back in and sits next to Stella.