Chapter 37

I slightly opened my eyes and through my blurry vision, I saw tall trees looming above me like giants and bright stars twinkling in the sky. I rubbed my eyes to get a clear vision but then found myself leaning against a hard chest.

"You're awake"

I tilted my head up and saw Ian, glancing down at me, his chiseled jawline more prominent under the moonlight. He smiled and tucked a loose strand behind my ear. "You can go back to sleep if you want"

Puzzled, I sat up straight and scanned my surrounding. We were still in the woods but it was dark, the only aiding light was the moonlight falling through the canopy of trees. Crickets were chirping and fire flies had started coming out of their hidings, welcoming the darkness around us.

Darkness?

"Oh my god. Why are we still here?" I asked in a panicked tone.

"What do you mean?"

I turned to him. "Why didn't you wake me up? It's dark in the woods. What if there are wild animals here? Do you want to die while sleeping?"

Ian rolled his eyes. "There are no wild animals here"

"How do you know?"

"I lived here"

"But you moved out, long time ago"

"There are no wild animals here Hailey"

"You don't know that..." My gaze fell over his shoulder to the house where the decorations were already hung and a bright golden light gleamed through the tall windows. "What about the party? Aren't we going?"

Ian sighed and leaned his head back on the tree. "Staying here is much better than going to the party. Let's sleep here"

I looked at him as if he had grown two heads. "Sleep here with what? The snakes?" I asked in horror.

"There are no snakes-"

"Oh my god" I abruptly stood up and rolled up my sleeves, checking my arm. "What if I'm already bitten?" I gasped. "Gosh I don't want to die from a snake bite!"

Ian stared at me for a while and then started laughing.

"I'm in full panic mood. How dare you laugh?" I asked incredulously.

"Because sometimes you tend to lose a nut in your brain"

"Is this the time to make jokes? This is a life and death situation!" I searched for my phone in my pockets but it wasn't there. "I think I left my phone in your car. Can I have yours?"

Ian stood up and took his phone out of his pocket, handing it to me. I turned on the flash light and carefully took steps forward, making sure no snake was lurking around. Nature is awesome but definitely not at night.

I was moving forward very very very slowly when Ian suddenly scooped me up in his arms.

I gasped. "What are you doing?"

"It would take forever if you walk like that"

"But it's safe"

"There are no snakes here"

"Better safe than sorry"

"Again, there are no snakes here"

"Put me down"

"No"

Ian swiftly moved through the dark to the house and climbed up the staircase with me in his arms. He stepped into his room and gently set me down on the floor. "We should get ready now if we're going to party"