Part 4

After torturing myself all day with things I cannot change, I decided it was time to put everything out. Nate had called and said he would be home in few minutes. Nick had somehow managed to convince Alina to go shopping with some of her classmates to enable us to have the most awaited talk.

It's already 2:30 pm when Nate walks through the door with his usual disguise. I would laugh at him were it not for the nervousness, taking over my body. I poured myself a glass of sparkling wine before taking a seat. I tried to calm myself by taking deep breaths but my nerves kept spiking. I gulped the contents of my glass and refilled, two times.

All that time, no one uttered a word. They were both looking at me expectantly and I found myself wishing for a way out. I would have gladly kept on stalling but Nate looked at me and last night's words echoed in my mind. They love me no matter what. Seems that's all the encouragement I needed because once I started, I didn't stop until I filled them in.

" I am sorry I ran away instead of talking to you two," I mumbled sadly when none of them spoke after my long explanation.

"I will kill that bastard," Nick growled in anger. Nate wasn't far off, in terms of anger. The veins on the side of his forehead popped showing just  how furious he was.

I wasn't prepared for what happened next. They both moved fast and soon I was engulfed in a warm and loving embrace. They both kept whispering how no one will mess with us again and other sweet nothings.

That's not was I expected. I had thought they would be mad at me but strangely they were mad at themselves for what John did.

"What next?" I asked after a few minutes of comfortable silence.

" Depends," Nate grumbled "I want to kill John so bad right now for ruining our lives."

"But he was right though, about the media and all."  I whispered truthfully. I don't see how Nate could have become the president if I was still in the picture. 

" No, he wasn't, we had a plan." Nick spoke up clearly

"Plan?" I was confused since it's the first time I'm hearing anything about a plan.

" Yeah, Nate was supposed to marry you officially, to avoid such occurrences." Nick mumbled,

" But...."

" I didn't mind, it was just for the public. It wouldn't have changed anything between us, since I would have posed as a bodyguard." Nick shrugged nonchalantly. I opened my mouth to speak but he continued quickly, "do you really think he would consider politics if we didn't have a plan in mind?" He pointed at Nate when he said the last part.

I cursed again for my stupidity. I should have trusted them and not take off like a coward. "I am really sorry," I don't think I could convey how sorry I was. Not even the uncontrollable tears streaming down my face can.

" Hey, it's okay,  what's done is done. Right now we should focus on our way forward. I will deal with John once I am back at the statehouse." Nate informed calmly rubbing my back soothingly. I sniffed wiping my face with the back of my palm.

"I think we should talk about living arrangements 'cause I can't keep sneaking in and out of here. It's risky, I am the president, after all, anyone can recognize me easily. " Nate added and I nodded in understanding but there was something I was dying to ask...

" What about Lucy?" I blurted out

" What do you want to know?" Nate asked

" You married her seven months after we left." My tone came across as bitter which was not the case.