♔ Chapter 13

— Continuation: Unforeseen Circumstances Part 9

expedition

The Risen Demons have all collected to their allotted edges and are walking with their respective horses, yet it appears that someone or something is missing. Captain Montoya is in the Center Fringe, and despite the fact that he was supposed to be the one to lead them, he eventually approached his squad with a pale and indifferent expression, which piqued their interest. "I don't forget what Sergeant Chaney told you about Oniochesters," he said in a formal tone. The squad all sensed something was wrong between them.

Terrence desperately exclaimed, "I bet my horse to y'all if there's something wrong between them, I can detect the problematic tension.", the other Risen Demons laughed at him as his horse knocked him down.

Terrence stared at Gavyn, "That's your karma for betting your horse for some stupid reason."

"Sergeant Kailey, isn't she? What is her purpose in being on the front lines? Risen Demons, isn't she supposed to stay with us?", Kennedi said, pointing at Kailey, who had Deandre's arm resting on her shoulders. They rode up to the front lines unit, the Risen Demons gazed at them, horrified at Kailey, and Colonel Rodgers was hanging out with them a lot these days.

"At this time, don't be too calm. Remove your arm from my shoulders; you don't think you're in charge here because you're taller than me. I have the ability to take your life, and I hope you are aware of this.", Deandre smiled before removing his arm, Kailey threatened as she dead eyed him.

Kailey started walking towards the Captains in the Center Fringe, Harrison was a little nervous at first, but he was greeted with a kiss on the lips. "Return unharmed and alive to the base. Allowing your anger to get in the way will jeopardize the plan. So relax, there's nothing between me and Deandre. I'll return to the front lines, bye."

She was about to leave the center fringe when Harrison grabbed her hand and stopped her "Why are you a member of the front-line team? The Risen Demons are where you're supposed to be."

"That's what Deandre and I were discussing earlier. You must have misread everything you've overheard."

"So, Kai, what are we going to discuss this time?"

"Would it be possible for me to join your group? I mean, am I allowed to join you on the front lines? Please, please, please! Except for this one, I have a really important mission, so please excuse me."

"What gives that you're suddenly talking about this? Did you have a quarrel with Toya, or was it anything more? Kai, if he finds out about this, he'll be furious."

"N-no, he wouldn't! Just let me stay at your side, please. I knew you better than him because you were the one who allowed me to join the military and stated I was gifted with these abilities. This is the last favor I'll do for you, after that, I won't bother you."

"Alright, alright. Fine, just this one."

"How the fuck did you know I was hiding at that time?"

"So it's true that you've been lurking there the whole damn time. I got you there, hah!", Kailey chuckled. Harrison's brows furrowed in despair, but he grinned in the end, "Whatever makes you happy. What about that ring you wore earlier? Are you willing to explain everything?"

"This motherfucker has truly disappointed me," Kailey exclaimed, pointing at him. The Risen Demons only chuckled at her rant, "Himself bought the ring for me but doesn't even know what kind of ring he bought!"

"It's because he missed you so much!"

"Don't taunt him, Kailey— he's probably humiliated by this point."

Kailey clapped her hands, causing everyone who was participating in the excursion to shift their attention to her. Harrison gave his squad a dead gaze, which made them stop tormenting him.

"Greetings to everyone who took part in our expedition; I'd like to express my gratitude for your participation, and I hope you're all strong soldiers who will live to see the end of the war. I'll do everything it takes to keep you all alive till the end, because this is my fault and that of my daughter, Khaleada. Whether or if this is a significant danger for us, we pledge that this will be the last war we fight. Our soldiers have a great chance! Risen Demons, forget safety! Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious and assassinate the enemies! Move now!"

"Will do!", they all cheered and saluted respectfully. They instantly obeyed Kailey and began leading their horses to the designated fringes.

"This is a reminder to fellow brave soldiers: whoever is attempting to bring you down is already under you. May God show mercy to our foes, since we will not. Let's get this expedition started!", when her horse ran in her direction, Kailey grabbed the hames and breeched the reins to quicken the pace.

She was in the lead as the front line squad followed her. As the front line squad got further away, the Captains squad began to tag along. Even though the Risen Demons were the first to run, they did so at a normal running pace, unlike Kailey's race, when her horse ran like a monster. She was a kilometer away from the rest of the soldiers, including the front line squad, Captains squad, and Risen Demons.

As they walked down to the town, the citizens looked at them and began to cheer. Kailey looked back at them, making sure that they were all completed and that no one was missing. They hadn't been down to the main town in a while, and the crowd was leaving them ample room to have their own way until they saw a familiar woman.

"Sergeant Kailey Chaney, is that you? I can't believe she's still alive after dying during her pregnancy and at the end of the invasion."

"This is all so perplexing, but I'm delighted she's back in the military. Even after she died, the town and the military as a whole had become depressed."

"What about her child? Was it able to make it as well? I'm hoping it did as well."

Kailey turned around and gave a thumbs up to the folks who were chatting about her, indicating that she and her daughter had survived the near-death experience. "We're still alive, and she's acquired both my and Harrison's abilities and attitudes. You'll meet her shortly once the expedition concludes— bye, everyone.", then softly smiled at them and began to quicken her pace as everyone continued to shout a cheer for them.

They were shouting at her to slow down as she continued to speed up, but she didn't listen. She covertly examines the Asdrops Inferhagia serum contained within the injection, then quickly wraps herself in her cloak so no one can see her. Kailey didn't tell her comrades or high-ranking soldiers about it; instead, she kept it to herself and Khaleada. Khaleada understands how it works. In essence, Asdrops Inferhagia was created by Kailey nine years ago, when Khaleada was only six years old. Kailey began to talk about it and how it works when she was nine years old, but only two of them were aware of it.

tbc..