68 | The One With The Yearnings

"And there you are, Mrs. Ramakrishna, that's the HR Budget for the third and fourth quarters of 2021." The HR Executive says as she winds up the presentation.

"Any questions or concerns?" Asks Mr. Oberoi as he turns to her. "Madhav doesn't wind up without throwing a few questions at my team."

"Yes, I do have a few questions." Shree says sitting up on the big leather seat. "I think it's better if we consider our interns for the entry level and mid entry level vacancies. We could offer them a permanent full time employment by absorbing them into the permanent cadre. I don't see the point of paying so much to headhunters and recruitment agencies to source for these level staff when we have qualified young talent with us."

"You do have a valid point." Mr. Oberoi nods.

"I do. That's why I suggest we retain our best interns instead of - I don't know sending them away after their internship finishes." Shree concludes.

"We'll think about that and make sure to-"

"Thank you, please excuse me now, I have to take this call." Shree says getting up and answers her ringing mobile as she hurriedly walks out of the room.

"Hi Ma!" Shree says as she comes out of the board room and sits on the lobby sofas.

"I'm angry with you!" Yashoda curtly says.

"Awwww, but why?" Shree asks.

"I got a call from your Obstetrician. Your checkup is overdue by a month and half!" Yashoda exclaims. "Shree, I thought you would be sensible and responsible as you were when you had Madhu."

"I'm sorry - I'm sorry." Shree exclaims. "I'll call her and get an appoint-"

"I've already fixed it for you and your appointment is in an hour. I spoke to your secretary and asked her to reschedule the meetings you have for the next few hours." Yashoda says. "And don't worry about picking Madhu, Radha has gone to pick her up from school."

"Thanks Ma." Shree smiles.

* * * * *

"You can change into the hospital gown laid down on the table." The nurse says as she guides Shree into the ultra scan room. "Your doctor will be here in a few minutes."

Shree takes off her blue shirt and her stretchable skirt to slide the pale blue hospital gown over her. She walks to the window, moves the big thick curtains aside and looks down at the car park. A smile appears on her face as she spots a beautiful pregnant woman, wearing a pink maternity frock, walk into the carpark with her husband. Her husband smiles and holds her hand.

Shree rests her head on the window frame and lets out a sigh, closing her eyes.

"Looks like I'm not fortunate enough to get all that love when I'm expecting." Shree says as she softly caresses her baby bump. Shree closes her eyes and in one swish move closes the curtain.

Shree jumps taken aback when the door opens.

"Hello, Mrs. Ramakrishna!" Greeted the dusky and beautiful Doctor Anuradha Rao. "It's been a long time since I saw you. I hope you are doing fine and I'm sorry about what happened to your husband."

"It's okay. Don't-don't feel sorry." Shree says as she tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Okay, why don't you lie down on this bed, right here and get yourself comfortable, while I get the machines up and running." Anuradha says.

"So, let's get started?" Anuradha asks as she takes the file and peers at it. "16 weeks pregnant, but you look like 24 or 30 weeks. Looks like the baby is doing quite a lot of growing and developing in there."