Ch. 13: Making a Home Together in London

"Seeking the Niceties of Marriage", Ch. 13: Making a Home Together in London,
July 05, 2021 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post#1396) 
(An original Regency Romance story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2021; All rights reserved)[(1) story cover below left]

[Illustrations: I cast my stories as I write them. So from time to time, I will illustrate my story with actors and such, including: Richard Armitage as Lord Edward Carlisle, Daniela Denby-Ashe as Lady Emily Creighton Carlisle, Blake Ritson as Lord Kittredge Wells, Polly Walker as Lady Patience Creighton, Bill Nighy as Lord Nigel Creighton the Earl of Stoke, and others as noted.]

[Author's Note: This original Regency romance is a work of fiction, and as such, any character names, scenes or other descriptions were written at the creative discretion of this author. And this is a gentle and tender romance (G to PG-13), but with some frank discussions about love and marriage put to humorous effect. This is my disclaimer.]

Ch. 13—Making a Home Together in London

Since the Wells Castle personal attendants staff were made available to the newlyweds Lord Edward and Lady Emily Carlisle, their personal valet and ladies maid--Mr. Sherman and Miss Pruitt, respectively--went ahead to Carlisle House in London to prepare it for the newlyweds' homecoming. Though Mr. Sherman was known to [the Carlisle House staff], Miss Pruitt was not. So naturally, there were some initial tussles with regard to duties, responsibilities, and territories within the Carlisle home for [Lady Emily's] ladies maid [Miss Pruitt]—most of which were [resolved] by the written statement and personal words from his Lordship the Viscount Carlisle Lord Edward to his London butler and housekeeper prior to his wedding.

Lord Edward made clear that he wishes his staff to be amenable about the changes that will naturally occur within the household with his new Viscountess soon to be installed there. Lord Edward wishes his Bride Lady Emily to feel at home and welcome to Carlisle House and told his staff that he is giving her carte blanche—for all household matters, decorating, staffing, and the general running of the household. Yet Miss Pruitt senses that her Lady Emily will have a good deal of work to wrest control from the servants and become the true Lady of Carlisle House.

But upon their arrival back in London at Carlisle House, Lord Edward's focus is not upon a tour of their house, nor meeting with servants about household details—that will come later. No, he first carries his bride Lady Emily over the front door's threshold to Lady Emily's surprise as he lifts her up into his arms.

Lord Edward: "Allow me!" He smiles gleefully.

Lady Emily: "Eeee!" She squeals with delight and slight embarrassment. "Edward," She whispers. "Please put me down. What will the staff think?"

Lord Edward: "Well my Darling, my staff will hopefully think that I am finally blessedly happy."

Then he twirls around with her in his arms, for good measure, and she squeals some more. And for [extra] good measure, Lord Edward kisses his sweet bride Lady Emily upon her mouth right under the foyer's soaring ceiling chandelier.

Though their Butler [Mr.] Stokes does not crack a smile at this tender scene, their Housekeeper Mrs. Griffin does.

Mrs. Griffin: "Well, My Lord and My Lady, we are glad to see you in good spirits after your long trip. Your Viscount and Viscountess suite of rooms are prepared for you as requested. So go on up and get the dust of traveling off you." She smiles in a kindly grandmotherly way. "You'll find that your sitting room has a small repast for you to nibble on. And I'll have the footmen bring you up more substantial refreshments later." She emphasizes with a small smirk. "Just pull the [bell] cord when you want your tea. And should you wish to dine in your chambers this evening, rather than in the formal dining room, we will accommodate your wishes."