eighteen - clarity

It was raining that day. The autumn leaves that flew with the wind touched the skin of her shoulder, causing her to remember Lukas’s silly grin as he pulled her into a pile of fallen leaves he had raked about only a few minutes ago.

Now, Lukas was just a memory too. She sat under a maple tree’s shade, keeping herself away from the warm sun while the cold winds of August played with her ink-black hair.

The sound of a twig snapping made her look up, causing her heart to crumble as the flash of red hair and sad mournful blue eyes caught her.

“Is Lukas here?” The wolf asked.

The pink floral sundress she wore made her look delicate as if she wouldn’t be able to hurt anyone. But Katie knew better. The woman in front of her was the woman who tore her brother’s heart apart.

“No.” She simply answered.

‘I know but I had no choice. It was her life on the line and… and I…’ A voice whispered behind her head. It was warm and smooth, comforting even.

Katie shook her head, focusing her attention on the memory of her brother’s mate.

“Where is he?” She asked again.

Katie only smiled while darkness started to form in her heart.

“He’s dead now, you can find him buried six feet underground.” Katie breathed, stifling the tears that threatened to leak from her eyes.

The woman’s reaction made it worse. Why was she crying? She had no right to shed a tear after she rejected Lukas. With the intermingling smells of the outdoor, one made her chest constrict, preventing her to breathe.

“You’re pregnant,” she gulped. “I smell a Remmington in you, an Alpha or at least someone with an Alpha’s blood.”

The woman never spoke. Instead, she heaved in a heavy breath and walked away, leaving Katie lost for words as she watched her walk away.

Katie felt trapped in her body. She felt the things around her about she didn’t have enough energy to move and open her eyes. Questions flood into her mind as she tried to find the answer to why she ended up here. But where exactly is ‘here’?

With all the strength in her body, she tried her hardest to open her eyes and saw a glimpse of a stranger, wearing a sad look in his eyes. He was missing an eye but the one that remained shined so brightly with pain that all she wanted to do was reach her arm out and touch him.

‘So you want me to go through what you did? Not follow my heart and throw everything away?’ The stranger asked.

She sensed how his shaky voice was engulfed with fear and pain.

‘N-no! That’s not what I meant. I’ve sacrificed my happiness for the greater good. For our family.’ Another voice dawned upon her.

This time, Katie’s heart shrunk into the deepest corner of her being. She knew that voice and now, hearing it made her want to disappear.

Katie paused not wanting to hear more and hurt herself. She pulled herself back, relaxing as sleep started to draw her in.

She didn’t know how long has it been. But inside her mind, while she hoped for the best, she was reminded with Nathaniel’s gentle hands. She had always looked up to him. Because of his kindness, and disposition to eagerly help people those around him, Nathaniel was very easy to lead.

She wondered if it was wrong of her to touch his skin and bury her hands through his hair. Was it that selfish for her to want a sense of peace that she found within him?