20. I am happy

The second I walked into the doors of hotel my father was hosting his wedding at I saw people roaming. I figured I would follow the crowd and the signs that directed everyone to one of the rooms off the lobby. The ceremony was outside in their garden, I had looked up pictures online and it was supposed to be very pretty.

The room we were in was for the cocktail hour as the wedding party prepared for the actually ceremony. Guests filled the room as they chatted amongst themselves. I had never felt more out of place.

"I've never been to a wedding, this is crazy isn't it?" I turned to see a girl around my age with dark hair smiling at me.

"Yeah this hotel is really nice." I nodded.

"When they said they were planning a big wedding I hadn't expected how many people that would be." She laughed scanning the room filled with people.

I knew the they she was talking about was my father and his bride who I still didn't know what she looked like. I had to stop myself from doing some intense internet research.

"I went to my best friends wedding this year but it was much smaller." I chatted.

I didn't mind this. This girl had no clue who I was, I wasn't the daughter who got abandoned. I was just a random person and I liked to pretend this was a normal wedding for awhile longer.

"I'm Selene." She introduced herself.

"Ava and this is my date Harlan." I placed my hand on Harlan's chest needing the reminder that he was here.

He seemed to understand my need for reassurance and wrapped an arm around me and pulled me into his side.

"How do you know the bride and groom?" She questioned.

I had a feeling the question was coming and I still couldn't figure out what to say. I had no clue who this girl was. What if she was close to the bride and groom and all of a sudden there is a surprise daughter of the groom here. What did my father even say about me to these people?

"Family of groom." Harlan answered for me sensing my panic.

"Oh wow it's great to meet you then. Anna is my aunt and Jeff has just been so amazing. I'm so happy to welcome him and all his family into ours." Selene radiated happiness.

I had almost flinched at the sound of my fathers name. I knew I had a whole side of my family I had been missing out on being around all these years but hearing about it hurt more than I expected it to. My father had a sister, a mom, nieces and nephews. I had all this family I never saw because my father decided I wasn't good enough to be apart of his life.

"Yeah it's an exciting day." I forced a smile and leaned further into Harlan hoping for some type of comfort.

"It was nice meeting you but I think we are going to get something to drink." Harlan smiled down at Selene.

"I'll see you two later." She waved and Harlan steered me through the crowd.

I didn't know I needed him as much as I did until now. He would be here for me, I just had to let myself rely on him.

Today was not the day to push him away.

Harlan got me a glass of water and basically pushed it into my hands.

"Drink this." He pleaded with me.

"Thank you for coming with me." I told him as I sipped on my water.

"You don't need to thank me, I am happy to be here for you."

I knew he meant it and I could feel the squeeze of my heart. All the work I had been doing to try and push Harlan away seemed to dissolve and all I felt was love when I looked at him.

"Ava!" An older women was in front of me and pulling me into a hug before I could even register what was happening.

When she pulled away from me I immediately recognized who she was. My grandma was someone I had very few memories with. She lived in Florida and she visited very little when I was younger. Even with the few visits it was hard not to recognize the women. While she had aged over the years since I saw her she somehow also looked exactly the same.

"It's been so long. You grew up way too fast." She laughed.

"It's been over ten years I'd hope I've grown up." I forced.

"And who do you have with you." She looked up at Harlan who was rooted behind me.

"Harlan." He reached his hand out to greet her.

"It's lovely to meet you. I was worried you weren't going to come. Your father tells me about how busy you are and that you might not be able to make it today. I told him you'd be here for sure. What is more important than family right?" The words felt like a knife to the heart.

Was that what he told everyone? That I was too busy for him? I was the one that couldn't make any time to spend time with family? These people were not my family, my father made sure of that when he walked away from me.

"Yeah." I couldn't say anything else.

"I know it's been hard on you. I wish you got to have your father in your life more than you have. I wish you didn't get thrown into the middle of adult drama. But no matter how angry you are with someone it is cruel to keep a father away from their daughter. I'm just glad that now you are able to rebuild that bond."

I just stared at the women for a second. Keeping a father away from their daughter? Was she trying to say my mom wouldn't let my father see me? Anger flooded my body.

What the fuck had my father been telling people?