21. Whiskey me away

Harlan had done his best to try to calm me down. He held my hand throughout the whole ceremony. He sat there giving me reassuring hand squeezes whenever he thought I needed it. He had even offered to take me out of here before the ceremony even started but my anger was all consuming and I needed to speak to my father. The knowledge that this was his wedding seemed to slip my mind.

"Ava, we don't need to stay." Harlan said softly in my ear.

"I can't leave yet." I just shook my head.

I made a beeline to the bar. Now that the ceremony was over we shuffled back to the large room that was set up for the reception. This luckily included an open bar, something I was planning on taking advantage of.

On the side of the bar was a sign with the signature drinks that the bride and groom came up with.

"Whiskey me away?" I read out loud.

"It's actually pretty good." The bartender leaned over the bar towards me.

It was much simpler than the apple one. A simple mix of lemonade, iced tea and whiskey. That was something I knew I could get down. I needed something stronger than a beer.

"I'll try it." I decided.

The bartender didn't take too long to whip up the drink for me. I took one sip and sighed. This was actually very good. I silently cursed in my head, of course my father would come up with a signature drink that was actually really good.

Just like the bartender didn't waste anytime to make the drink I didn't take anytime to down the drink.

"Ava, maybe slow down." Harlan whispered to me.

I closed my eyes for a second. Emotions were rushing through me and I was having a hard time thinking straight. I didn't want to let my anger consume me and I didn't want to drink away my emotions. Even if I didn't want to I couldn't help it. I couldn't do this and I was beginning to regret even showing up.

I slid the glass forward.

"I'll take a refill." I told the bartender.

He didn't hesitate. Something I was very grateful for.

When the newlyweds were introduced and made their way into the room I did my best to block it all out. I drank my way through the first dance.

"Let's find our seat." Harlan tried to steer me away from the bar.

I had taken my second drink slower than the first one but now I was finishing my third drink and I could tell Harlan was growing concerned for me.

"I'm almost done with this." I waved my drink through the air.

"I think maybe it'd be good to take a break." He grabbed the drink from me.

"Hey." I reached forward falling into his chest.

"How about a water?" He asked the man behind the bar.

It didn't take long for a cold water bottle to end up in my hands.

"Ava?" My whole body went rigid.

I turned to see my father standing there a smile on his face.

"I'm so happy you came. You look amazing." He complimented.

"Thank you." I forced out.

I had so many things I wanted to say. After everything he had done I had so much I wanted him to know. I wanted him to hurt the way I did, I wanted him to understand what he did to me throughout the years.

"Who is this?" He shifted his attention to Harlan, who was currently pressed up right against my back.

I appreciated the fact that Harlan was here. He wrapped an arm around my waist to pull me closer. Somehow he knew exactly what I needed in this moment. He knew I needed to feel him, to know he was there.

"This is Harlan." I leaned my head back to smile up at him.

Before he could say anything I opened my mouth again.

"He's my husband. We got married a few years ago. A small ceremony surrounded by the people we love. It was the best day of my life." I reached down to entwine our hands.

It was a lie, obviously but I wanted to hurt my father. I wanted him to feel like he wasn't apart of my life because he had made that decision to leave it.

"Wow congratulations. You never mentioned it when we spoke." He frowned slightly.

"Oh sorry it never came up in our yearly fifteen minute birthday conversations." I snapped at him.

"You know I didn't come over here to argue. I was hoping you'd come and join some of the family wedding photos." He diverted the conversation.

I was opening my mouth to say no when someone beat me to it.

"No." Harlan filled in for me. "You don't get to come in here ignore your own daughter as she tries to finally say the things she has been waiting to say and then just ask her to get in photos. You don't get to invite her here and make it seem like you are some great father when you were the one that walked out on her. Ava is the most amazing person I know and you don't get to pick and chose when you want to be around."

Harlan standing up for me somehow made me fall for him more. I didn't think that was even possible.

"Well I need to go take the wedding photos now. I'm guessing you won't be joining?"

"No I won't be and you don't need to even bother with the phone call on my birthday because I won't pick up." I had to swallow my tears.

"Have a nice time tonight." My father said walking off.

"He's an asshole." Harlan hugged me tightly against him.

"Yeah." I felt my resolve slip away as tears flooded my eyes.

I turned and buried my face in Harlan's chest as I let them spill.

"It's ok Ava, you got so many people who love you. He doesn't know what he's missing out on." Harlan's words warmed my heart.

This man was going to be the death of me. How was it even possibly love someone this much?