Chapter 45

Chapter 45

If Tanet was there to see an underwater garden, Pranee had no doubt that even he would have gone silent with awe as well.

There was the lingering scent of jasmine and the walls were a dark blue dome. Round rocks covered the floor and plants with slender, pointy leaves would sprout out from between them. Water trickled from a gap in the side and formed a small stream to a pond in the centre. It looked like it was its own mini-universe. Pranee could feel her breath leave her mouth as she stared at the scenery.

"This is so beautiful."

"Thank you, gardening is a passion of mine. It relaxes me."

"Ah, I see. How do you get the plants to grow in here without any sunlight?"

"I use divine magic of course."

"Divine magic..."

"My subjects have overheard you had summoned the holy elephant to aid you earlier."

"Your subjects? They were watching back then?"

"Well... more like subject. Chann is a very kind person. They do seem to hold a lot of respect for you. If they hadn't told me about your miracle, I probably wouldn't have been as quick to appear earlier."

"I must thank you again for your aid but it must've been a coincidence, there was no way I did that miracle alone."

"You're right. You didn't do it alone for sure. But you should still give yourself credit for it."

"What do you mean by that?"

The queen gently held a flower bud between her fingers. "We've studied humans for a very long time. Studying your magic to see if there was anything that was different from ours."

"What use do you have from learning from us?"

"New spells to use as offensive during the war."

"A-ah... your nation is in war?"

"We have been for a very long time. Even before my time. If I could have avoided this, I would've. But there is no easy solution, unfortunately."

"So that's why you want us to..."

"Yes." The queen breathed out and closed her eyes. "Anyways, we accidentally discovered that your species can hold divine power as well. Not very common but it happens. Often times those people would go to monkhood."

"Well, that's definitely not me."

"It definitely is you. Divine magic appears differently for each human."

"I see..."

"So, I have another favour to ask. From one queen to another."

"I'm not a queen..."

"You have divine power. You are just as much of a queen as I am."

"Ah, okay..."

"I know this is a lot to ask for but the barrier that keeps air in this area is weakening."

"How?"

"I'm not sure. I've read that a long time ago humans and nagas had formed a compromise. They used the divine magic from a human and a nagi to create this place."

"How... would I be able to help that?"

"I recently found this."

The queen held up a necklace. It was in a shape of a diamond but was made out of gold. The gold was crafted in a way that smaller fire details made up the majority of the pendant.

"That's beautiful."

"Place your hand on it."

"Is there anything else I need to do or I just..."

"Just put your hand on it."

"Um, alright."

Pranee put her hand on the necklace and waited for a moment. The queen closed her eyes briefly and Pranee observed her serene expression. A few seconds passed and the queen's eyes flickered open again.

"Thank you."

"Did... anything happen?" Pranee's fingers twitched. She wasn't sure whether she should pull away from the necklace just yet.

"I'm actually not sure. It was worth a try at least." The queen placed the necklace directly onto Pranee's palm. "You know, divine magic is a mystery in of itself. So, few people are able to actually wield it yet nobody really knows how to actually wield it. It often comes off as hopeful wishing."

"How... are you able to use it then?"

"It comes naturally with nagas but it's a magic unique only to us. But the human kind? It's difficult. There's only one thing I was able to observe with all my years of studying humans."

"What is that?"

"Humans... each has their personal vice and then find a way to control that. The outcome leads to enlightenment about their own capabilities."

"Huh... That's interesting."

"Something to think about for sure." The queen stood and bowed towards Pranee. "Thank you for your time. I'll personally accompany you to your room."

The words of the queen would echo in Pranee's mind for the rest of the night. She heard the words but she couldn't get a proper grasp on their meaning.