𝟘𝟙𝟜

{Chapter fourteen}

ALEKSANDER'S PATIENCE WAS TO BE TESTED ON HIS MOOD. During certain situations, he knew he had to control his emotions and remain stoic, but other days, such as now, he could not have been more jittery. 

He hadn't seen Adaline in nearly two days, having been so busy with the Winter Fete and it was driving him mad. It was known that he was absolutely smitten with his Shadow Summoner, and this time away from her had his mood dampening. He snapped at Grisha who got on his nerves, his hands twitched in anticipation to grasp something (preferably Adaline's hair,) and he seemed restless without her by his side and in his arms at night. 

As he watched himself in the mirror with a hardened gaze and a black and gold teacup in his hands, then impatiently fiddled with the collar of his undercover when he heard footsteps in his study. 

"Ivan!" he called. "My kefta!"

More shuffling was heard as Aleksander placed the teacup and plate onto his side table near his bed, and ran his fingers across one of the old books he kept there. Adaline always said she liked when he read to her, so most nights they spent together she would comfortably lay her head on his chest while he whispered the lines of the book to her until she was lulled into a peaceful sleep. 

And every night, Aleksander couldn't help but watch the girl he had grown to love. 

He broke out of his own thoughts and turned to enter his study, to be met with the beautiful image of his lover. 

There she stood, in her now regular grey robe. She had what looked like a black dress underneath, though Aleksander couldn't see it as it was covered by his kefta held in her arms. The front pieces of her hair were pulled back into a braided bun at the back of her head, accented with a sort of silver netting that sported a large eclipse in the middle. She gazed up at him lovingly with a teasing smirk on her face that melted his heart. 

"You're not Ivan," he said with a faint smile and raised eyebrows. 

Adaline scoffed. "Sorry to disappoint, Your Royal Broodiness."

Aleksander's chin tilted upwards challengingly as he watched her. His lips stretched into a grin. "Do I sense a little disdain for my heartrender?" He briefly looked her up and down again. "You know once you get to know him, he's actually quite funny." 

The Starkov's gaze turned worried. "You must find Volcra hilarious if you think that dud is funny." she shifted the kefta to lay on one of her arms, lifting her hand and turned her index finger in a swirl, indicating he turn around. "He may be a lump of muscle but his sense of humor is dull compared to mine, wouldn't you say, lapushka?" she joked as she pulled Aleksander's kefta over his arms and shoulders. 

"Spasibo, love." he turned, catching her gaze once more. His large palm found its way to her face, pulling her close when his fingers grazed her hair. He gently took her shoulders between his hands and began turning her, letting her back fall into his line of vision. He inspected her bun with interest and utter adoration. "I like your kokochnik," he whispered in her ear. 

Translation: Darling, Thank you, and Hairpiece. 

Aleksander could feel her smile, and it withstood as she turned to face him once again. "Thank you, Aleksander." 

They stood for a few moments, just processing each other, enjoying their company. He could admire every aspect of her face every second of the day for the rest of his life. Eyes as dark as midnight, nose upturned just a bit, and that mischievous smile she always sported. 

He broke the silence. "Are you nervous?" he brushed a small hair from Adaline's eyebrow. "I imagine there are few gatherings in Keramzin that involve such... spectacle." said Aleksander, his voice growing in a teasing manner towards the end. 

Adaline pretended to ponder, but couldn't hide the grin on her face as nodded sarcastically. "None, in fact." she stated, taking on his need to tease and slightly leaning up, almost bringing their lips together before she backed away and began walking back into the study as she explained. "I'm actually not that nervous. Not as nervous as I expect Alina is though." 

Aleksander followed her like a lost puppy, his eyes wide as he kept close to her. She paused at his map table, bracing her hands against the wood while he gazed at the grey robe adorning her backside. "I was nervous at first," she admitted, briefly looking back at her lover. "I was scared I wouldn't be able to do what you've asked of me. You have so much more experience in our kind than I do." Adaline turned to face him with furrowed brows. "Why did you ask me to take your place?"

The raven-haired man took on his adorable grin, stepping closer and placing his hands against her hips, caressing the silk of the robe with his thumbs. His eyes met hers as he looked at her smaller frame with such an intense and loving gaze, she didn't want to believe any harm could ever come to her under his affection. 

"I asked you because the people of Ravka need to see that just because the world has granted them two Shadow Summoners does not mean we are of any danger to them. I trust you, Addy." 

Adaline's eyes widened at the use of her nickname, but they quickly dimmed back into her regular look of playful torment. A smirk gathered on her lips, lifting her naturally rosy cheeks the slightest. "Addy?" She questioned but didn't leave him any time to answer as she pressed her lips to his. 

The top of his beard tickled her upper lip and chin as their mouths moved in unison, tongues nearly clashing. Aleksander's hand almost immediately went to weave into her hair, but before he could do too much damage to her carefully braided black locks, she pulled away and used the palm of her hand to push him back a bit. 

Aleksander stumbled over his feet but regained his balance. Suppose years of training did pay off. 

His look of longing to touch her again sent her into a confident frenzy. Gracefully, she stepped towards him once, keeping her hand extended to maintain the distance, but guided him into one of the large black loveseats in his study. 

She pushed him down into a sitting position, and with a quirk of her eyebrow turned to close and lock the doors. 

With her hands still resting against the handles of the doors, she chuckled darkly with a low, sexy tone. 

"I must admit, Aleksander, not many people surprise me. But the use of that nickname leaving your lips has me... entranced, so to say." 

****~****

a/n

cliffhangerrrrrrrr

will there be smut? will there not be smut? wait to find out ;)