18. Le Sucre

"This place looks smaller than I expected." Drake spoke beside her, taking in the establishment that was Le Sucre.

     He wasn't wrong. Le Sucre was a homey, warm place. Along the street, there were other food services but Le Sucre stood out in a way that it was overly charming from its italic lettering on the front door in pale pink colours that read 'Le Sucre' with an image of a golden croissant below the words.

     There were three tables outside, with metal, petite chairs that looked both practical and elegant.

     Madame Roux had also placed different types of flowers on each round table.

     One had fresh Tulips in a long-necked crystal vase, another had Peruvian lilies and the last had violet Petunias. The display always seemed nonsensical to Angelina. The flowers Madame Roux purchased were more than lavish to have casual placement on their tables but Madame Roux couldn't be denied pretty things. Her husband could never reject her requests to buying more whenever one wilted after being tended and greatly cared for by Madame Roux's tender hands.

     Angelina pushed the door open. A small chime rang.

     "Oui, attendez!" Madame Roux's voice hollered from the back room.

     Mason approached the glass panel displaying the desserts on pristine trays. She could imagine the wonder in Mason's face. There were a lot of things to choose from, each dessert strategically decorated, shiny and colourful, meant to lure in sugar prone customers.

     Today's special was a Mille-Feuille, topped with roasted strawberries and mascarpone. That was Monsieur Roux's favourite dessert. She loved making the dessert, even if it took so long to make the perfect puff pastry for the three layers each traditional Mille-Feuille required.

     The first time she had attempted it, she had burnt it to black crisps. Monsieur Roux snorted.

     The following try, she had been impatient and completely destroyed the dessert for portioning out the wrong measurements.

     She tried again and again, until she was sure she had made at least a hundred when she finally pulled off the puff pastry and the other ingredients to make the best Mille-Feuille she could. It had been wonky, sitting on the plate with dallops of whipped cream on the side but she was elated it resembled something that could pass as a Mille-Feuille, albeit a knock off version of one.

     Madam Roux had hooted with pride upon seeing her creation.

     Monsieur Roux simply took a bite from the dessert and shrugged his shoulders.

     Angelina had a bunch of good memories stored in her brain, ones where she could pull out, revel in and reminisce about until she tired.

     "I want to try all of it." Drake mumbled, staring intently at the chocolate filled beignets sitting in pretty cupcake cases.

     "We're here on business." Mason reminded Drake, although he had his attention set on the macarons sitting in the corner. "It won't hurt to taste test one though."

     "You're absolutely right." Drake conceded. "I'll get the beignets."

     "Good choice Drake. I'll take the macaroons and maybe that tart."

     "Excellent choice indeed." Drake hummed.

     Madame Roux appeared, flashing a wide smile she always had at the ready for her customers but when she spotted Angelina standing there, the woman lurched over the counter and pulled her into a tight, warm embrace where she buried her face into her neck. "Ma fille!"