Chapter 9: First Game of the Year

Xander Stone

I walked back into the room to see my Star. I'm never leaving her, in sickness or in health. "I'm here Stella." She gives me a smile. "I'm sorry Xan. I didn't want you to look at me differently. Any way you can forgive me?" My Star says and asks. "I understand why you didn't tell me baby. You know I'll always worry about you. There's nothing to forgive sweet girl. I love you." She's tearing up a little bit. "I love you too." She says back and I kiss her cheek, forehead and softly peck her lips. Just so her mom and Tony don't get grossed out.

"Dr. Owens is letting me out tomorrow, a few hours before your game starts. Uncle is bringing my special jersey. Every girl will be jealous of my jersey because I will have two names on it, instead of just one. My big brothers, and my boyfriend's." She says smiling. I lean down and kiss the side of her head. "Mom, have you told Uncle Rick?" Stella asked, Ms. Knight shook her head no, "I'm about to though. No one has called her dad either." She informs Stella. Stel nods, "Don't call dad, he doesn't give a shit about me anymore. Plus, Uncle Rick might what to get Branson's dad here, for when the Dean gets involved, and maybe the police." We give Stella a nod.

Coach Rick comes rushing into the hospital room and sees Stella in the bed, "My little pea. Are you okay? What happened?" He is freaking out a little bit. Little pea, how cute. "You might want to sit for this uncle because you won't like it." Rick sits and hold Stella's hand. "Branson saw me in the hallway as Rose and I were walking to class. He threatened me saying that if I didn't get him back on the football team, he was going to make my life a living hell. That's kind of hard, I have cancer, my life is sort of already a living hell. Anyways, he had his fist up with the air like he was going to hit me, and I warned him not to do that because of the cameras, so he put his hand down, walked past me shoving his shoulder really hard into mine. I fell backwards, and don't remember what happened." Stella tells Coach. "She fell backwards, hit her head on the bench in the hallway, and hit the floor hard. That Branson guy was smirking the entire time. I called Tony in a panic because I couldn't wake Stella up. I knew that Tony and Xander had the same classes." Rosemary finished the rest. I was now beyond pissed off.

Coach was enraged, if coach could get any madder, I think he could turn himself into the red hulk. "On the bright side though Uncle, I get released tomorrow morning. So, I can still go watch the first game." Stella states. Coach chuckles, "I'll get your mother, Rose, and you, closer to the game. Like say, on the sidelines, but away from the field. I'd rather not have my niece tackled by a big idiot on our team, let alone one on the other team." Coach finishes saying, and they all nod. "Thanks for my new jersey uncle. I love it." Stella praises Coach Rick.

Dr. Owens comes in a little while later to check on Stella. She lets out a small yawn, but immediately after starts introducing everyone. "You already know Rosemary because she comes with me to get my treatment and chemo." She points to her mom, "That's my mom, Marie," then to Tony, "That's my brother, he's older than me by 3 years." Then points to coach, "That's my uncle, Rick." Then to me, "this big dork here is my boyfriend, Xander." I give her a small glare, and she smiles innocently at me. "Nice to meet you all." Dr. Owens says, and turns around to leave the room, "Oh Stella, would you like to play a board game with your family and friends." He asks, and Star give the biggest smile and nod. "I know how you like your word games, so I had Nurse Grace get you out Scattergories." He says bringing back Scattergories. "Thanks Doc." My girls says, then he leaves.

We play the game for a few hours, of course Stella won. Everyone left afterwards, and I stayed to sleep next to her in the hospital bed.

Today is game day, and Stella got released an hour ago. She's at home right now feeding Solaris and getting ready. I set up the comfortable chairs on the sidelines far enough away from the field. Game starts in 30 minutes. Tony and my teammates know what happened to Stella, and they can't believe that Branson did that; they are going to look out for Stella now.

Game starts in five minutes, and Stella is here in her chair, along with Rose and Ms. Knight. She looks so hot in her special jersey. I walk up to her feeling already to go. "Hi baby. You look cute." I say leaning down to kiss her cheek. She smiles. "We have the water boy, Wes, behind you ladies. Wes is the go get guy, if you need anything. So, if you need something, food or a drink, you just have him ask him to get it." I tell them, and they nod. I peck Stella's cheek again and walk over to the team. "Let us win this guys!" I say, coach tells us the play and we head for the field.

I've been upset since the first quarter, since the stupid Lions quarterback said something about Stella. She warned me not to do anything stupid, and of course I listen to her. We have 3 minutes left of the game and we're winning 28-14. "LET'S GO BABY! GO TONY!" My Star. Tony throws the ball to me, I catch it, and run like my ass is on fire to the touchdown. I make it by a hair to the touchdown, winning the whole game. The Lions quarterback wasn't happy, so he throws down his helmet and has a tantrum. My team and I bro hug each other as a congrats. Stella is jumping up and down with the biggest fucking smile I've ever seen. After, I walk up to Stel, take off my helmet, lean down and capture her lips. I kiss her and she kisses me back lovingly. I pull away, "I'm going to go shower love, then we're all going out to dinner." She nods an okay, leaning up to give me a chaste kiss. I give her a small kiss back, before heading to the locker room.

I'm walking out of the locker room onto the field and look towards Stella, who looks very annoyed. I look over, and low and behold the fucking Lions quarterback is talking to her. I can't see what they're saying, but it can't be good if she looks like she wants to punch him. He starts leaning in towards her face, and I pick up my pace. What I see next has me laughing. Just as he was leaning down, Stella rings back her arm, and punches him in the face. I get to her just as she starts yelling, "Why the fuck would I kiss you, when I already told you I have a boyfriend? Either your blind, deaf or plain stupid. I'll go with the last one." I smile proudly, wrapping my arm around her. "Why is the Lions quarterback on the ground with a bloody nose?" Both Tony and Coach ask walking up. "He tried to kiss me and invite me to his bed." Stella says. I'm prouder than upset right now. What she asked next had me laughing, "Dinner now?" We all laugh and leave.

Coach let the quarterback's coach know what happened. After dinner we all went home. I went to my room to change into sweatpants, and Stella went downstairs to her apartment to change. I joined her after changing and saw her take off her wig. She gets in her bed, and I get in too. Solaris jumps up and ends up next to her legs. "I love you, my Star." She mumbles it back, and we go to sleep.