Cherry Waves

Hi! Brand new commission here. We have small town rivalry between two high school seniors who accidentally fall into the first stage of love. I hope you like it!

When the smooth vintage sound of Gerard's spinning vinyl record encountered a screeching skip, the led to his mechanical pencil snapped before he could complete the sloppy shading on a doodle he idly filled in as he drifted in his thoughts.

Gerard grunted at both the interruption to his peaceful drawing and the dreaded flaw he saw coming due to his excessive amount of listens to that particular record. He hauled himself out of his— surprisingly —made bed and trudged over to the corner where his record player was balanced on the dresser jam-packed with countless issues of comic books and unread horror novels accumulating dust from the times he insisted he'd read them later. There was a single path of cleanliness from his finger passing through the film of dust a day prior to test out the degree of filth. It wasn't so bad, could've been thicker, nothing compared to the rotting Santa Claus figurine his mother hoarded up in the attic.

Gerard sighed with discontent as he inspected his Smashing Pumpkins 'Adore' record. There were no visible scratches, at least not in the poor lighting from his desk lamp. He gingerly slid it back into its sleeve battered around the edges only and nearly tucked it between his crate holding a massive record collection. If you couldn't tell, Gerard had an affinity for collecting things, no matter if he ever got to them or not, it was all about the excitement it brought on and the content feeling gazing at them from across the room. Although, he wasn't the best at maintenance, as one could see from the scattered objects, film of dust, and the nearly overflowing dirty laundry basket sitting idly in the closet, awaiting to be dragged out and greeted by Gerard's disgruntled face.

Padding out of his basement bedroom and up to the kitchen where his mother was bustling around baking a fresh round of pies for the neighbor's dinner they were invited to that evening, Gerard leaned against the counter and inhaled the sweet fumes of the homemade flaky crust accompanied by the appetizing glaze coating the warm cherries underneath. He plucked a fresh blackberry from the rinsed pile resting on the counter intended for the next dessert. Donna Way was deeply proud of her immaculate pie recipes and took up any chance she was given to show off. That night wasn't any exception, but if you asked Gerard, there was an excess amount they wouldn't know what to do with once dinner drew to a close.

"Don't you think you're making too many desserts?" Gerard cocked his head to the side at the assortment.

Donna wrapped up her infamous cherry pie in a layer of plastic wrap and laid it to rest on the spread out towel resting on the granite counter beside her coconut cream pie. "I'd rather make too much over too little."

"I understand that, but —" Gerard cut himself off swiftly. "You know what, go nuts. Make a dozen if you want."

Donna chuckled fondly. "Don't pretend you and your brother don't eat half a pie for breakfast sometimes."

Gerard gave a dopey smile being reminded of the privilege that was having a baker as a mother; scooping leftover pie from the fridge and plucking a fork from the silverware drawer first thing in the morning to retreat to his bedroom to devour it while watching reruns of Buffy. His friends teased his ass for still having an interest in Buffy, but it was less on the scale of being into teen dramas with cheesy dialogue and outdated jokes and more so about drooling over Spike in his leather trench coats and combat boots.

"And I cannot wait to do it again," Gerard stole the can of whipped cream resting on the counter and squeezed a dollop onto his finger to lick it off. "What time are we leaving?"