Chapter 23 || A Living Breathing Storm Cloud

Chapter 23 || A Living, Breathing Storm Cloud

My fingers drum nervously against Elle's car door as I sit there, watching the lights and colours shoot by in a blur as we drive through the streets of Worthington.

Elle glances over at me and smiles softly, "Relax, Bront. This is a good thing. Blake is finally opening up to you and making the effort with your friendship!"

"Yeah," I nod my head numbly. She was right, but that didn't dissipate the nervousness.

"Don't forgive him straight away, though, okay? You gotta make him work for your trust so he knows that he can't treat you like shit anymore. He needs to see how easily he can lose you so he knows never to do it again. "

"I'm just so anxious," I sigh, "I haven't had a proper conversation with him in ages. I don't even know why he wants to hang out with me." I babble on, "I'm the complete opposite of him and I know they say opposites attract, but opposites also have zero compatibility with each other, so if we have zero compatibility then why would he want to be my friend?"

"Ignore all the science-y statistics and shit because they aren't always accurate," Elle replies, steering in front of the building where I see Blake stand out the front, waiting for me. My heart leaps into my throat and I look back at Elle, exhaling a nervous breath, "Ask yourself whether you think you guys are compatible as friends from all the time that you've been together. Do you guys have fun together?"

"Well yeah, but we fight a lot."

"That's because Blake is a dick-face. But now he is finally learning that he shouldn't act that way so you won't be having any problems like that anymore... I hope not, at least," her eyes narrow in thought before she presses a button and the car windows go down. She sticks her head out of the window, "If you hurt Bronte one more time I swear I will ruin you," she assures Blake, "I've been growing my nails out just for this opportunity, so watch yourself," Blake cautiously steps away from her, and Elle looks back at me, "There we go. No more problems."

I laugh, "You is weird." I hug her with a thankful smile etched on my face, before exiting the car and waving goodbye. When her car disappears into the night fog, I turn to Blake, "Hi."

"Hi," he replies, before clearing his throat, "Let's go," he states, turning away from me and walking to the tall, abandoned building. I let out a deep breath and follow him down the alley. We arrive at the side door and Blake forces it open and continues his journey to the rooftop. Finally, we arrive at the rooftop and I notice that there are two chairs now rather than one.

My eyes sweep over the beautiful city view and I lose my breath again. I don't think I'll ever get over that view. Blake takes a seat on one of the chairs and I take a seat on the other. He hands me a blanket sitting between the two seats and I take it, watching him carefully, "You're very talkative tonight. Please, will you just shut up for one second? I can't hear myself think."

He exhales a laugh at my sarcastic comment and then looks at me with a smile, "Piss off. Can't you see that I'm nervous?"

I can't help but grin, "Yeah. Your hands are shaking," I point to his hands which he was fiddling with. I could see that they were shaking slightly, "Why are you nervous?"

"I didn't think you'd come."

"But I did."

"Yeah," he agrees with a nod of the head, "And I wasn't prepared for that, which is why I'm fucking nervous. Where the hell do I even start?"

"From the beginning, maybe?"  I suggest, my eyes narrowing at his odd behaviour. What was he so nervous to talk about?

"I always hated you-" he begins.