CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

MATTHEO RIDDLE BELONGS TO YASMINE AMARO. CALANTHA, KASSANDRA, NICCOLÒ, ERISED, EPIPHANY, DAÌNN, AND LANA ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JK RO*LINGS.

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T R I G G E R W A R
N I N G

blood, torture, swearing/vulgarity, death, knives

─── ・ 。 ゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

T H I R T Y  O N E

MY legs dangled loosely off the side of my bed; the sheets that I'd slept in last night were sprawled out in a mess behind me, the evidence of yet another nightmare.

I'd almost forgotten what it was like to wake up in the middle of the night, panting—completely at a strain for air, my lungs burning as I incoherently inhaled and exhaled. It had been a long time since I'd woken myself up, beads of sweat building on my forehead, on the curve of my nose, on my shoulders; my hands clenched the sheets so hard that the impressions of my nails went right through, leaving light pink streaks just under my fingers.

I was there again, standing by the side of my Mother's body. She was lifeless, as usual, her pale corpse almost daring me to take a step closer. The others—the people that I never knew, or at least never claimed to remember, were there again, too. As usual, they'd begin to chant random nothings that I'd bid myself to not remember. But they were blaming me.

"You cannot listen to them," her warm voice bellowed through my ears, my skin raising as I turned to look behind me. Where she stood.

She looked the same, what with her beautiful
blue eyes and her long hair, straight as it pawned down her tight back. Her posture perfect as she stood so peacefully beside Kassandra's old bed.

It took me a long second to catch my breath again, to mask the surprise on my face that she was actually here. After so long. After I'd yelled at her to go away.

"Your night . . . terrors have come back since..." she sundered off her words, her chin lowered as she needed not to say the words we both knew would finish off the sentence.

"Since Mattheo." I finished for her. She nodded once, only with a single bow of her head.

Daìnn's voice filled my ears, the sharp, seering pain of his blade cutting into my neck. I perked up, though tried not to sound so eager as I asked her, "What is your name?"

A simple smile, forgiving and alive, was her first response. "If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. And you would tell him."

I knew who she was referring to. I shook my head. "I won't tell him. And I... . I would believe you. I believed you when you told me you were... Dead. I believed that I was actually seeing you, that I wasn't crazy."