Page 7 A Prying Presence

I can't believe I wasted all my summer looking for this one Dutch boy I randomly met at a convenience store. I'm pretty sure he doesn't live in this city. So, I won't ever see him again? I should've asked for his name, or his number. 
"What are you sulking first thing in the morning?" Casper grabbed his bag pack, "Come, let's go,"
I followed Casper on my bicycle, our way to University. My first day at University. 

Perhaps, I should focus on studies rather than a random, rude stranger I met. When I entered the class, everyone was sitting at their places and chatting among themselves. I went ahead and sat in a corner. I thought I would talk to people, but my terrible social skills would embarrass me once again. Ugh! I opened my bag to take a book out and read so that I didn't look as friendless as I was. 

Casper must have already made many friends by now. He has a social charm that I wish I did. Maybe, I can change that! Maybe, if I try hard enough...

"Thank god. That accent is a travesty,"

My poor Dutch accent. I looked at a blonde girl across a few tables. Okay, Dep, you can do it! I got up, wait what will I say? I sat down again. Okay, hey, how are you? My name is Deppy, what about you? Ew, that was so cringe. No! Something more organic, like yo, how's it going? Yes! That's what I'll say. I got up and turned back, but she already had someone talking to her now. NOW it will just look awkward to barge into them. 

I need to stop being such a wet cat. I got up and walked towards them, "Hey guys," I smiled.
"Hey," They looked at me and then continued talking. Okay, this is embarrassing. Should I... Fuck it, "So, what are you guys talking about?"
"Video games. She plays Bandori, do you?"
"Erm, no. I don't play video games,"

"That's a shame. Then, what have you been upto?"
"Just fighting with my roommate when I'm free," I shrugged.
"What?" They laughed, "You need to go out, touch some grass," The blonde one said.
"Fighting with your roommate? You must not have any friends at all,"

"Well," I breathed in, "My roommate is my friend,"
"That's such a loser thing to say,"
"Right?" They looked at each other and laughed, "I rarely talk to my roommate,"
"I don't even have a roommate. I have my own room,"

"That's cool," If I leave now, would I look stupid? But I don't wanna just stand here and stare at them talk, "What other things do you guys do?" I asked them.
"Girl, you're interrupting us," The blonde one rolled her eyes at me and her friend joined her.
"Yeah, go away. You're annoying,"

"Okay, jeez," I turned back and walked to my seat. Now, at least I won't regret not trying. I opened my book again, reading is much better than making friends anyways. I'm here to study, not to...make friends. 

The professor entered the class and welcomed us to the department. Her name was Professor Griffin. She would teach us European Literature for the next one year. We all introduced ourselves and the reason why we chose this course over everything else. 

"My name is Anak. And I am here because I love books,"

By the time it was my turn to introduce myself, everyone was busy talking and chatting among themselves. So I just murmured my name and sat down, "Nah ah, I saw that," Professor Griffin made me stand up again, "What's your name?"

"Daffine. My friends call me Deppy," I introduced myself again. She looked at me and kept staring until the entire class became quiet, "You don't mind if I call you Dep?"
"No, not at all," 
"Okay Dep, why are you here?"

"Because I want people to... love art again,"
Everyone stared at me, giving me weird looks. Fuck! I said something wrong.
"Could you please elaborate that, Dep,"

"Well..." I did not plan this ahead of time, what do I say?

-To be continued