chapter ninety

January 4th - Gideon Prewtt's Apartment 

Nephera, the Prewett Twins, and Ailani were sitting on the balcony of Gideon's apartment, or rather, they had been sitting there, for Fabian and Ailani had left a while ago, and it did not take a seer to know what they were up to. 

Currently, the Slytherin and the remaining Prewett twin were sitting at the edge of the balcony smoking, their legs dangling over the ledge.

"I remember you back in school, you know," said Gideon, "I never thought you'd be the one to save my life," 

The girl scoffed, "A lot of people didn't expect me to turn out the way I did. Everyone thought I'd end up working for good ol' Voldy instead of against him," 

"Can you blame them? You had built up a rather nasty reputation for yourself," 

The girl would've argued against that if it hadn't been one hundred percent true, "Comes with being a Slytherin, honestly. Everyone expects you to be mean, so you are. Why bother being kind to people who shouted and cursed at you once they heard the house you were in?" 

"I never really thought of it that way, I suppose," replied the ginger next to her, "I guess I didn't realize it was eleven-year-olds we were yelling at each year during the sorting," 

Nephera smiled at the memory of her own sorting, "Not everyone yelled," she replied 

An eleven-year-old Nephera was walking through the gates of the Great Hall for the first time, trying really hard not to gape at the magnificence of the room. She had to keep her poise, that's what her mother always said, at least. 

Obviously, that message had not gotten through to the blonde girl next to her, the one from the train, who had stuck close to Nephera ever since she introduced herself on the train. 

Ellie, was her name? 

She was practically bouncing up and down, pointing at everyone and everything, "Oh, and look at the ceiling, Nephera! You can see the stars!" 

"It's enchanted, idiot, it's not the actual night sky. And don't call me Nephera," snarked the brunette 

"How can you not be excited about this? It's magic!" 

"I've been doing magic ever since I was five, just because you come from muggles doesn't mean we all do," 

Suddenly, two hands pushed Ellie aside forcefully enough to hurt, but subtly enough to not be detected by any teachers, "What are you doing talking to the mudblood, Winchester?" came the voice of Lestrange, and the malicious cackles of Avery and Mulciber 

For some reason, Nephera felt very angry once she saw Ellie's pained expression. She didn't quite know why, though, for she'd only known the girl for a few hours, and, just as Lestrange had said, she was a mudblood. Not to mention the girl's general disregard for feelings such as remorse. Yet, she hated seeing the blonde's eyes look to the ground in embarrassment, "I can't see why it's any of your business, Lestrange. At least she wasn't crying in the station when saying goodbye to her parents," whispered Nephera, effectively shutting the boy up 

"Well, actually I-" started Ellie, but Nephera interrupted her sentence with a swift kick to her foot, "Oh, right, I didn't cry. Not at all," 

A few minutes later, and the sorting had begun. Ellie, the blonde girl, had approached the wooden stool nervously, jumping slightly when she heard the hat speak into her mind. To no one's surprise, she got sorted into Hufflepuff. 

The young Winchester didn't pay any attention to the rest of the sorting, her name was last anyways until a familiar name was called. 

"Black, Sirius Orion," announced the tall witch in the pointy hat