September 24 It's About Time

TW: brief mention of suicide

Four days. It had been four days since Daphne made a complete idiot out of herself. The last date she had with Chris had been incredible. Definitely one for the books. And then she had to ruin it. She was thinking back to that night while driving to work Friday morning.

Flashback

When the song ended Chris took her by the hand and walked her to the front door of her home. Daphne reached up to place her arms around his neck to hug him. He cradled her in his arms. Chris goes to turn his head and Daphne pulls back. "Oh, I was going to kiss," Chris says but is interrupted as she quickly pecks his lips, says goodnight and walks into her home shutting the door.

They hadn't seen each other since that night. There had not even been a mention of that complete flub during their text or phone conversations. But Chris was coming to Daphne's tonight for dinner and a movie. Surely, it'll come up. Or something crazier will happen like burning the house down.

~~~

After an insane shift the night before, Chris was thankful to see 8 am roll around. They'd had calls for two motor vehicle accidents, a heart attack and an attempted suicide.

He was over by his locker packing up the last of his bag when Hayden walked in. "No football game tonight, away game. Wanna go play pool?" Hayden asked.

"Can't. I've got a date," Chris responds while closing his locker.

Hayden quirks a brow at his friend. "I'm sorry, a what? You finally giving Sophie another chance? That's great man! She's gorgeous."

"Definitely not Sophie, man."

"I need details brother," begs Hayden.

Chris rolls his eyes at his partner. "I uh, I started seeing Oliver's sister, Daphne."

"Wait a minute. The teacher?" His eyes grow wide.

"Yeah. We've gone out a couple of times now," Chris tells him as he zips up his bag and heads to the door. On his way out he hears Hayden yell, "keep me posted!"

  Chris took a quick swing through a drive thru to grab something to eat before heading home to walk Dodger and crawl into bed.  Checking his phone he saw a text from Daphne.

Daphne- are we still on for tonight?

Chris- yes ma'am. Six o'clock okay? I'll bring the movie snacks?

  He knew she was with her students but figured she'd respond when she was able to.

   "Come on Dodge, let's go for a walk." He headed in the direction of Daphne's house. Stopping at her driveway he thought back to the precious moment he had with her dancing in her yard. While the night did not quite end the way he expected he still left with a full (and smiling) heart. "Alright bubs, let's head back. I'm exhausted."

~~

With pasta boiling, sauce simmering and chicken baking Daphne rushed to her bedroom to quickly change. Deciding on a casual look of shorts and a top she gave herself a quick look in the mirror. 'It is what it is,' she thinks to herself.