Part 68: Testimony

I was terribly confused by this action of Albert's. 

He was very unpredictable, I already knew that. 

But this?

Did my sudden change of actions to the plot somehow affect the way he viewed the heroine, Ivy? 

My mind snapped at how exactly that would work, and I felt like blushing right here in the court. 

But I made sure my face betrayed nothing, so that other people wouldn't gawk at my sudden expressions in the courtroom. 

Perhaps the fact that Roselyn was a major spoiled lady sent directly from hell was a pushing factor for Albert to fall in love with Ivy. 

But that didn't make sense either, because Albert would have gone with Roselyn being the Queen and find some way to deal with her if Ivy hadn't emerged from the countryside. 

Which only left the option that it was Ivy who changed the plot herself. 

This thought left me with an urge to run over to the hospital bedside and laugh at her, especially when I was reminded of all her determined attempts to seduce Albert (and the other male leads) and denounce me. 

A glint of amusement flashed over my eyes until I was nudged at the sight of the woman Albert brought. 

Perhaps the first time Albert brought in papers was to lower the Temple, but I really couldn't figure his future moves. 

Does he plan to do something to change it all over with that woman's testimony? 

In reality, this was impossible because this was a single and unlikely reliable testimony.......but this was a hand-written otome game. 

In these type of stories, anything is possible, even if I really don't want to admit it!

I still contemplated on whether I was simply living an illusion in a fake world or not, but glancing at Onii-sama and Albert, they were definitely real living beings with their own personalities, not just written words coming to life. 

I tightened my fists due to fear but some curiosity rose up because I was genuinely interested in what actions Albert would take now that it's come to this step. 

It's human instinct to want to know of someone like Albert's way of thinking, because he was a very interesting person. 

"Excuse me for the discourtesy, but is that woman here to present a testimony?" 

All heads turned towards me as soon as those words flew out of my mouth, because someone in my position talking out loud like this was against the rules here. 

But Albert had already broken many rules by barging into the courtroom like that, and father had not denied him, so nobody could point me out for it either.

"Lady Villinie, she is indeed a testimony I have painstakingly found and brought to court", Albert answered directly. 

Father waved his hand at Albert and the Crown Prince stepped down to leave the rest to the Judge. 

The Temple side did not look very good, and even the calm facade of the High Priest had turned into a distressed expression. 

 If even the leader of the Temple was breaking down, my interest soared up onto what other dirty things Albert had found. 

After all, he would not hand in the same thing me and Onii-sama found to court and have that nodded on by my father. 

Truth is, I didn't mind if Albert stole the thunder. 

My reputation increasing slightly was only the side dish, while bringing down the Temple and Ivy indirectly was the main course. 

If Albert could help me on that then it didn't matter if he gained more attention because I also gained things from this action of his. 

I turned my head to my father who started to talk about the Temple's other misdeeds. 

Then the chance to talk was given to the woman Albert brought in. 

"I was given the task by the Temple to make the servings of food for the homeless people, a-and......." 

She grabbed out a clear vial full of purple liquid which caught my attention. 

"One day, they told me to start putting this inside the food....and raised my salary......" 

She looked down in shame, but it's better to spit this out than keep it in because this would be discovered sooner or later. 

"I can confirm by the colour that this indeed is the poison that causes people to heal slower or not at all."

My voice sounded clear in the courtroom. 

But how exactly did Ivy get her hands on it? 

My father turned his heads towards the Temple faction, whos face were paler since the last time I looked. 

"The evidence I have in my hands, given to me by the Crown Prince, shows the Temple committing tax evasion. Head Priest, explain." 

They dared not to accuse of this evidence being false, because it was the Crown Prince who had personally handed it in. 

Some of them glared at the women who had her head down in betrayal. 

I frowned at the different amount of respect shown between me and the Crown Prince. 

When it came to statuses, they were not that far apart but only because I was a woman and only had my family's support was I to be treated like this. 

I felt a spark of gratitude for Albert because now I knew the Temple was really done for this time. 

The Head Priest stayed silent, but his whole figure was shaking. 

Poisoning, taking advantage of the homeless and tax evasion, these crimes would not be looked over and pardoned without consequences.

And with this, sentences and fines were given out and the trial was concluded.  

"We will investigate further to uncover the crimes the Temple have committed, and provide further justice", my father said as he flicked his sleeves and left. 

Things ended faster than I expected, given that Albert's arrival helped me a bunch. 

Although I would love to know why he suddenly decided to aid me and Onii-sama in this, I had a much more important priority right now. 

"Why don't we head to a more......quiet place, Onii-sama?" 

He nodded in reassurance that he hadn't forgotten about the letter, and ushered us to a separate and desolate corner of the courthouse. 

"You've been wanting to tell me something for quiet a long time, Roselyn. It's unfortunate you weren't able to tell me at that time. So, could you finally tell me about it?"