18 ◦✿◦ Subtle Defiance

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

She remembered being covered in a blanket, crying endlessly, her tears and snot all over the duke's armor. Despite her pungent smell, the duke caged her close as they rode their horses out of the woods.

Then there were screaming, endless 'My lady!' and then she just knocked out tired to sleep.

Now that she's awake, Lizzie sat on the bed and wished to forget it all.

Papa.

She cringed and hugged herself. The sun from the window was up high, she assumed it was noon. In the dark blue tapestries of the foster bed and the huge size with its somber and darker tones of colors, Lizzie found herself in a foreign room. The maids must have bathed her and changed her clothes while she was dead asleep.

The image of the monsters flashed in her head, and like an instinct, she folded her knees with her toes curled. She winced from the pain on her shoulders, radiating to her palms covered in bandages.

Her mind wandered to the wounded Gibworm. The thought of the beast who may be the main cause of the incident, but protected her as its egg, Lizzie somehow felt sad.

"How are you feeling?"

Devanti Norvillon was near the bedside with his documents. She flinched and angled her body away like an instinct. Her eyes slid away from him, up to the detailed carving of the Norvillon symbol on the ceiling of the foster bed.

Papa. If only the soft mattress could swallow her whole in embarrassment.

"Lizzie is okay... du...du—" she paused as the duke's forehead knotted, "duke." He fully frowned. "Papa." His brows stretched, and once more, he was a beautiful statue.

Oh, so you liked it huh.

If she knew, she would have chosen a better one. She remembered an old street comrade used to brag about his father all the time.

"Papa was great with swords."

"No wonder he became a mercenary and left you."

"Papa was strong."

"So he beat you every day?"

The conversation usually ended in a fistfight. Lizzie would watch, shake her head at the childishness and then sigh. Why of course, they are children, after all.

And now, she gets to call the Duke of Norvillon the same. Not "father," "My lord," or "Your Grace," as what a noble daughter should address him.

Just "Papa," as to how commoners do.

Lizzie internally grinned. What a subtle defiance she did.

Good job Lizzie, she praised herself. Annoy him more.

"Papa, why does Lizzie have this?" She raised the bandages wrapped around her hands.

"The vines were poisonous. It eats the flesh if left untreated."

Were they? She was desperate last night that she did not notice. Her growling stomach broke the silence. The duke stood wordlessly and approached the bed. Lizzie watched him, didn't realize that her body has angled farther away.

He pulled the tassel hanging by the bedside, seconds later, a servant knocked, and the duke ordered to bring food.

Lizzie was quiet the whole exchange, her eyes on the familiar and ugly knots of a bracelet on the duke's wrist. Moments of silence with him staring at her face and she looking away then glancing back with him still looming upon her, the teary-eyed Fay rolled in the cart of food. And seconds after, Garth barged into her room.

"Sil—!" He stopped when he sighted the duke. "Silver..." he said, quieter on her bedside. "Does it hurt? It's okay now, yeah?"

"Let her eat," Erdan said, who arrived later. "We're sorry we couldn't come last night." And glanced back at the duke.

Lizzie knew the reason. There were instances that the men of a noble family must not gather in a dangerous situation, mainly, to avoid the family's bloodline perishing in case of death altogether.

Although Erdan was the first line to inherit the title, Garth's chance was not close to zero, so he let the two stay.

He's fair. Lizzie thought at the duke who had his eyes back on the document.

And he came. Is it possible that Devanti Norvillon in her tragic future is different from the man a few feet away from her now?

Future.

Is the future even certain?

The emperor changed his, maybe she could do it too.

She glanced at the duke, who was supposed to be commanding the fort about the disturbances in the forest, and see his vassals off as the hunting ceremony ended. But he was there, checking a document that he has been reading the whole time.

Then her eyes shifted back to Erdan, persuading Garth who was on the bedside, and took the spoon from the maid to feed Lizzie by himself, to get off and that he was a bother.

It was warm, and she was not thinking about the cold soup, so as not to open the wound from biting her lips last night.

Maybe, her life would be different from the vision.

They all froze when tears spilled from Lizzie's eyes. The next thing she knew, the duke was already by her side, his hands cupping her face. "Why are you crying? Does it hurt somewhere? Don't you like the food?"

Lizzie sobbed.

The maid, Fay, flinched and paled as the duke spared her a glare.

That's not it, you idiot. Lizzie pulled his sleeve to reclaim his attention. For the last brave attempt to ensure her future changing, she asked. "Papa, Papa... do you love Lizzie?"

He did not answer. Even Erdan and Garth were rendered speechless. 

The duke opened his mouth and closed. He clenched his jaw, his palms on her face tightened and loosened when he realized his force. He was angry, then he was sad, then he was glad. It was as if all the emotions he could show in his lifetime has rolled into one single moment. And then it was gone, once more, his eyes wall of cold blue.

"Stop crying," was all he said and he did not even dry her tears. He pulled back and left the room without a word.

But Lizzie got her answer. He held her face so gently. She was placed in his room and probably watched over her. The hideous bracelet dangled on his wrist.

You idiot father.

"You are the cutest Silver!" Garth exclaimed, "I like you the best!"

He screamed so loud that her ears could pop out and she had to close her eyes.

"Lizzie."

It was Erdan with a dark gentle smile. "You must be hallucinating to cry like this. But you know..."

Ah yes, that's your true face, Erdie. Keep scaring me.

He leaned closer and she realized she stopped sobbing. "Instead of crying, you must eat to gain your strength. Or... would you rather go back to the forest again?"

Lizzie hiccuped. His threat was effective, and with him looming over like a reaper, she finished the bland meal. Only then did the devil's smile loosened and became genuine as he pats her head.

"You're a brave girl. Good job, sister."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-