Chapter 17

Grayson's POV

There is no doubt in my mind that that "girl" was Eli. Mainly due to three reasons. One, that "girl" was the only female at this party who hasn't pounced on me for the chance to make out. As egotistical as that sounds. Two, once I got really close, I could smell the faintest whiff of his signature strawberry scent. And three, the growing surprise he sported during the kiss. Which I'm still very conflicted about, and would very much like some answers. So that must be why I'm currently chasing after him and not brushing it off and enjoying the party. Right?

"Leave me alone Gray!" Eli shouts a few feet ahead of me, stomping through the forest brush. I can't risk getting too close in case he tries to hit me, or shift and run off. So, I guess I'll have to keep him talking from back here.

"Can we at least talk about it?"

"Talk about what, I'm just some random girl at this stupid party. So, forget about me and go hang out with those other bitches."

"Oh bullshit, Eli you're not even trying to disguise your voice."

"Well then use your imagination. Just pretend that you don't know me. It was working before the kiss."

"That was because I actually didn't know it was you! Which means you masked your scent with that disgusting scent blocking spray. Where did you get it?" He couldn't have gotten that spray unless someone from father's inner circle gave it to him; which they wouldn't. So, who did he get it from?

"Nobody, why does it even matter?"

"Because not everyone should have free access to it. Only higher-ups in the pack. So, whoever you got it from could be into some shady business!"

I guess that really pissed him off because he's finally stopped to face me and he does not look happy. "How about I ask you something. Why do you care? You are NOT my mate and we're barely even acquaintances, so why do you care now?!"

"Because I'm going to be Head Alpha and I need to know these things!"

"Goddess! Again, with pulling out the Head Alpha card. I don't care about your stupid title! I'm not going to rat out some I actually care about to someone that constantly finds a way to ruin my life. So ban me or whatever, just leave me ALONE!"

I reel back a bit from the outburst, but stand my ground. Does he really think that? It's not like my life hasn't been affected him either. Though, I guess he would be the one getting the worse of it. Still, I've never seen him this upset about it.

That's when I notice the tears running down Eli's face. He tries to wipe them away in frustration, but I've already seen them.

I don't know whether Onyx took over or I moved on my own disregard for self-preservation, but next thing I know I'm hugging Eli close to my chest. Welp, I guess this is where I die; it was a nice life while it lasted. I can't even blame this on his scent. Eli tenses up for a bit and I hold my breath, waiting for a kick to the balls. To better my chances of survival, I try to release calming pheromones. And shockingly he starts to relax, hiding his face in my neck. Somehow, despite the chill of the fall air blowing through the trees, he's still incredibly warm. To the point where I almost get lost in the hug.

Snap out of it Grayson! This is still Eli we're talking about. The bratty little omega who's probably planning your funeral in his mind right now. After a century of unease, for me at least, I hear Eli sniffle and move to rest his chin on my shoulder.

"I hate you," he says in a groggy voice.

"Right back at ya. Though I gotta say, Girl Eli was a lot nicer to me."