Chapter 15 - Smiles Are Still Contagious, Shocker

Chapter 15 - Ft. Paint and Its Amazing Personality (and Hamilton lol.)
Warnings: Slight being scared, anxiety, the Delancey brothers, and mentions of stabbing (thanks to Paint lol)
A/N, these song thingys are killing me lol. You can ask Charades lol, they know
Third Person POV

Berry walked with Stage and Ducky- or technically Elmer and Buttons- as they walked to get their papers.

Multiple other Newsies were dancing, but they were just chilling at the moment.

"You know the Delanceys?" Ducky asked them.

Berry had only been there for two days now, but she knew the Delanceys very well.

Berry nodded. "I hate them." She muttered.

Stage was silent.

Berry almost immediately noticed her fiddling with her flannel sleeve.

Her eyebrows furrowed in both confusion and concern. "Stage," Berry started softly. "You alright?" She asked.

Stage shrugged, her eyes still fixated ahead of herself. She looked troubled. "I just don't like them." Stage answered slowly.

"That's completely valid." Berry told her. "I doubt any Newsie likes the Delanceys." She commented.

"If I could, I would use my knife to go stabby stabby with them." A voice from behind them commented.

It was Paint.

"They seem like good targets." Paint commented, twirling their cigar in their fingers.

Stage shook her head. "Creepy." She commented.

Paint shrugged, walking off. It was probably off to find Flames and steal their hat.

It was payback for Flames continuously stealing Paint's paint-covered bag.

"I'm tired." Ducky muttered, rubbing their eyes.

"That's why you should sleep." Stage commented.

Ducky stared at her. "Says you." They responded. "We finally forced you to sleep the other night and you're telling me that I need sleep?" They questioned.

Stage shrugged. "I'm telling you to not turn into me." She responded.

An arm was slung over Stage's shoulder. "Why would anyone not want to be you?" They asked.

Stage looked up to find Henry.

He was smiling down at her.

Stage shrugged. "I'm horrible when it comes to sleeping and self-care." She pointed out.

"We all are." Henry ruffled her hair. "Besides, it's just something we need to work on." He shot her a smile, before leaving.

Stage fixed her hat on her head, not bothering to make her hair neat. Some girl- who definitely thought she was a boy, which was good- had told her that her hair was cute when it was messy. "I swear they all think of me as their little brother." Stage muttered, her hands dropping to her sides again.

"If it helps," Ducky started. "I think of you as a little sister." She smiled at Stage.

Stage smiled.

Berry smiled.

It was just lots of smiles all around.

(A/N, not to quote Elmer, but the *gasp* "like smiles" *sighs contently* from my one-shot book (ft. Elmer) comes to mind here lol.)

"Candle-wick!" They heard Paint shout.

Stage flinched.

"Give me my bag!" Paint screeched, running after said Newsie.

Berry sighed deeply. "We're all crazy." She muttered.

Stage and Ducky nodded in agreement.

"Why'd Race call Jack a candle wick?" The three Newsies heard Tommy boy mumble confusedly.

They shared wide eyed looks.

"Who knows." Knobs stated. "Maybe Jack burned himself on a candle again." He commented.

Stage, Ducky, and Berry breathed out laughs.

Their secret was safe, for now.

"I'm watching you burnnnn." Ducky sung under their breath.

Stage and Berry laugh.

564 Words