Chapter 1.7

CHAPTER XVII

TSUBAKI'S   POINT   OF   VIEW

TSUBAKI'S POINT OF VIEW

Winter has always been my favorite season. For those short icy months the entire world prepares to be reborn; blanketed in complete white like a fresh canvas being placed down just before fresh colors can be spilled on it. Families walk holding hands, their kids rambling on about presents and their favorite dishes while parents listen willingly. Bright decorations meant to incite joy and merriment are hung all over Konoha, from its bare trees to twinkling Christmas lights adorned buildings. And as a cherry on top, everyone gets together to celebrate the Winter Festival.

Fireworks, food, and games galore all set out on a closed street ready to greet eager patrons. Couples will kiss under the mistletoe archway, kids will run around in their seasonal clothing, and then everyone of all ages will find a place to sip cocoa and watch the night sky be lit up. There isn't any reason not to enjoy the festival or winter.

But lately, it just seems to be a storm for trouble. Without getting a wink of sleep last night, I stared up at my ceiling thinking about everything. Danzo, the masked man, Itachi being a double agent. I thought about how I was too scared to fall asleep and see that monster again - to feel myself be suffocated. I thought about how the dancing shadows in my room were the only people I could talk to because no one else knew.

And I thought about how I didn't regret anything. Not confronting the Third Hokage and not my decision to pursue an ugly truth. At dawn, the Hokage's personal messenger hawk delivered a short note stating that the double agent has orders to wait at the cherry blossom garden during the festival just before the fireworks would go off.

'What would I say? When Itachi-san is standing there, what do I say?' That question still plagued my mind even as Kakashi and I were walking to the Uchiha Compound. Shikamaru opted to go with our mother, Dad was called to consult on some private matter and promised to find us later. Much of the snow's padded layers had been shoveled aside so others may walk easily, which is convenient considering I'm not that far off from the ground.

I tried not to ponder on the 'what if's for too long. It would only distract me from my real purpose of setting up this meeting. Even more, I couldn't afford to be discouraged. This sinking guilt at the pit of my stomach wouldn't allow it. Itachi deserves to know, and so did I. We needed each other if we wanted to stop chasing our own tails.

'Do they think I can't sense them?' Three chakra signatures have been following me since yesterday, right after I left Hokage Tower. Hiruzen has no reason to keep me on surveillance, so that could only mean they had different owners. Immediately, Danzo came to mind. He's vile and sinister, and...he knows. More than I do; more than the Hokage would ever share with me.

Kakashi seems unbothered, continuing to read his pervy book without any discretion. Some pedestrians we passed kept giving us looks, whispering to one another. I felt my eye begin to twitch, absolutely loathing that disgusting book. 'I want to burn them both.' Nevertheless, seeing him calm put me at ease. That pressure finally dispersing when the shadows disappeared soon as we neared the Uchiha compound's entrance.