xviii. close encounter

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
( close encounter )

❛ you can't stop me. ❜

ATHENA WAS READY

ATHENA WAS READY. SHE HAD SPENT THE last few hours waiting for the assassins to go to sleep. Gathering her assortment of blades and poisons and gadgets and dispersing them all along her body in hidden compartments in her pants and sleeves, she was finally ready to go. Those people needed her. And she was angry. Angry at Damian for telling her it was a slave trade at the end of the mission. Angry at Jason for knowing and not telling her. Angry at Bruce for assigning a mission that didn't help the people who were in danger. It might not be their jobs to help to innocent unless they were getting paid but that's different from this. These were people. Who were being bought and sold to be slaves for the rest of their lives. Having no control over what they do or say or where they go. It was disgusting. And it infuriated her.

Slipping the last knife, her favoured four inch blade, into her boot, she waltzed through her door and towards the exit.

If Bruce wasn't going to help them, then she will.

          That was, until, a voice rang through the darkness. "Where are you going?"

           Athena didn't need to turn around to know that it was Jason who spoke. Nor did she need to look at his face to know that a furrowed brow was paired with crossed arms as he stood under his door frame.

           "Nowhere of your concern." Athena stated.

           "Really?" Jason said. "Doesn't look like nowhere to me."

           "Well, that's because you've never been nowhere. This is what going nowhere looks like."

           "In all combat gear?"

           She hesitated. "Yes."

           "That doesn't add up."

           "Good for you," she said as she walked down the hallway, furthering the gap between them and closing in on the exit door down the hallway. She reached it without a word from Jason, which surprised her considering he always has something to say. But it all made sense when she reached for the door and the handle was missing. She was locked in.

          "Trouble in paradise, princess?"

          Athena would have rolled her eyes if the spark in her chest wasn't drowning out all other emotions. She pivoted on her feet to look at Jason. He was still leaning against the door frame, tossing a silver door knob between his hands.

          "Are you serious?" Her tone was hard. "You took the fucking door knob."

           "Well, considering that you weren't going anywhere—didn't think you'd need it." He smiled at her, throwing the knob from one hand to the other, high enough for it to intercept his eye contact with her. High enough to make it alarmingly obviously that he was tormenting her, rubbing her face in the fact that she was not going to be anywhere.