Chapter 29 - I used to be able to make her smile like that.

Chapter 29 – I used to be able to make her smile like that.

Justin’s POV

It’s not until gone ten o’clock in the evening that my dad finally calls it a day. He’d gotten Lucy to go over the events of her kidnapping at least three times before he finally decided to let her fall asleep on the sofa off to the side of the room. It was clear to everyone that her exhaustion was beginning to take over, and so it wouldn’t be long before she started rambling tiredly on about things we couldn’t keep up with.

Once she’d fallen asleep, we began discussing our next plan of action, including what exactly we’re supposed to do with this Devlin guy. For the time being, he’s locked up in a guest room upstairs being guarded by Max and Helen, but it was obvious earlier that at least half of the Pack want him executed. Lucy, on the other hand, is completely set against the idea, which isn’t surprising at all.

Beck’s still here, waiting for Lucy to go home as he’s under strict orders from her that he’s not allowed to leave until the immediate threat has died back down again. The guy doesn’t look completely settled on the idea of having to stay within our borders for the next few days, but he’s obviously deciding to humour her to keep her happy. Unfortunately for me, this means he’s going to be spending the next few days or so living under the Harbours’ roof, which effectively means he’s going to be living with Lucy for the time being.

Fantastic.

As for the plan concerning the Rogues we’ve decided to change things up a bit. We’re going on the offensive. Instead of letting them come to us, therefore having the element of surprise, we’ll be going to them. We haven’t figured out all the details of the ambush yet, but I feel a lot more relaxed at the idea of having at least something in place.

As everyone starts to get ready to leave, I walk over to where Lucy sleeps on the sofa. She looks so peaceful and I almost don’t want to wake her up; she’s had a tough couple of days.

“Luce,” I murmur gently, crouching down in front of the sofa and shaking her shoulder slightly. “Luce it’s time to go home.”

“Hmm?” she mumbles tiredly, slowly opening her eyes.

“The meeting’s over,” I explain, trying to hold back a smile as she rubs her eyes groggily.

“Huh? I fell asleep?” she asks as she looks around the room slightly disoriented.

“Yeah,” I reply, unable to hold back the smile.

“Oh,” she says with a slight frown as she looks back over at me. “What’s so funny?” she then asks somewhat defensively.

“Nothing,” I say with a shrug, trying to reign the smile back in.

She quietly grumbles something under her breath before sitting up and letting out a sigh. “What time is it?”

“Just gone ten,” I reply, moving to sit on the sofa next to her.

“What?” she asks quickly, glancing over to the clock to see for herself. “How long have I been asleep for?”

“About an hour,” I admit with another shrug.

“Why didn’t anyone wake me up? What have I missed?”

“Luce, you’ve been dead on your feet from the moment we found you earlier, you needed sleep. And I’ll fill you in tomorrow about our next plan. For now, just go home and get to bed.”

“I’m not tired,” she immediately denies, but then yawns two seconds after.

“Riiight,” I say, dragging out the ‘I’ and rolling my eyes.