Chapter 26 | maeve adopts a plant. and forgets her allergy to puppies.

--------------------> AFTER LEAVING THE DANCING DRAGON, Maeve met up with her mother and Euphemia Potter at Twilfitt and Tattings

--------------------> AFTER LEAVING THE DANCING DRAGON, Maeve met up with her mother and Euphemia Potter at Twilfitt and Tattings. The high-end clothing shop is decked in holiday colours, with vibrant virulent and green garlands covering the ceilings. The room had been charmed to be toasty warm, and the attendants offered hot tea to their customers. Christmas was tomorrow, and for as long as Maeve could remember, the Potters would spend it with them.

It had something to do with the close bond James' parents and Maeve's own parents had struck all those years ago in the hospital, both of the couples ageing and longing for a child to spoil. From then on, frequent visits became common, so much so that Maeve and James shared a childhood pet, along with memories. Later, when Bruce and Maeve became friends, the Clarkson's were added into their little group, even if James and Bruce's relationship consisted of small talk and nothing further. And somewhere along the line, many traditions flamed between them.

The first of which included new clothes stitched on the eve of Christmas, in holiday colours. Then, on the actual Christmas Day, they would click a picture of their matching outfits, milkshake moustaches and goofy grins. From the past two years, Sirius had joined them. This year, Maeve would be the only 'kid' in the picture.

Snapping out of her musings, Maeve focused on the mirror she stood before and twirled in her red dress. "I think green would look better on me," she proclaimed.

Euphemia perked up while Mavis pouted, objecting, "But then, you'd match Euphemia. Not me."

"You could change your colour and the three of us could match," suggested Maeve, smiling at her mother's narrowed eyes.

Mavis' favourite colour was red while Euphemia's was green. Every year, it was a competition of which colour had the most people and both women were adamant that their colours were the best. Unfortunately for Mavis, Maeve had green earrings she had received for her birthday during the summer, which she hadn't gotten an opportunity to wear. Until now.

"I mean, I love red, mum," Maeve continued, admiring the detailing on the golden belt that the dress had. The sweetheart neckline, the lace along her sides, and the flowing quality of the dress were absolutely lovely. She could easily see herself wearing this dress for the photo, and donning a pearl necklace.

But Bruce had gifted those green earrings after, if Kate was to be believed, searching through fifty-something magazines for her. "But I'd like to dress in green tomorrow," she told them.

It was a tragic tale because Maeve adored this dress. Oh, the mortifying ordeal of looking stunning in anything she wore.

After tossing a mournful glance at her reflection, Maeve swivelled towards the attendant. "Could you show me some green dresses, please?" Next, she asked her mother, "Could I please buy this as well? Even if I won't wear it for Christmas?"

"Of course, sweetheart. It looks enchanting on you," her mother crowed and her aunt Euphemia nodded as well, beaming at her. "You look absolutely lovely, darling."