Chapter 7 ~ Scouting

Recap:

"Loki and Tony, on a mission together. This isn't going to end well for anyone," Rhodey sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"So, we're just going to hope that she can't see through Reindeer Games' illusions? Why can't we use the photogenic veils?" Tony whined as they got off the plane that had taken them to St. Louis.

"We need to know if she can see through his illusions, and I have three with me if she double-takes," Nat reassured him. They had gotten themselves on the guestlist for a theme night at the Palace that would happen the next night. All of them had aliases, and Loki was to put up illusions for all of them so nobody would recognize them. If anyone did notice the magic, Natasha had photogenic veils set on their aliases with her. They had to teach Loki how to use one, but he got the hang of it pretty quickly.

"Now is a good time to put those illusions in place," she informed him. He nodded and concentrated on weaving the illusions onto the three. Soon they were in their disguises; Tony looked like every blond Hollywood actor there was, Natasha became the definition of old money, and Loki turned into a prestigious college professor version of himself.

"Did you make me taller?" Tony asked.

"Yes, thought you might enjoy being averagely sized," Loki quipped back. Tony opened his mouth to retort, but Natasha beat him to it.

"Please shut up. I'm too tired for this shit," Natasha shut them down, and the two men made the wise decision to keep quiet, Loki with a smirk and Tony with a scold. They walked out of the airport and hailed a taxi to get them to the hotel they would stay in for the night. It was nothing too fancy to avoid suspicion, a simple but nice hotel on the outskirt of the city, so they wouldn't have to travel very far the next day. So far, the illusions did their job, and nobody paid them any mind. Once they got to the hotel, they checked in, got their key cards, and rode the elevator up to their floor. The room was plain and boring but would suffice for the single night they were staying. There were three twin beds, bedside tables for each bed, a desk, a TV, and a small bathroom. They each chose a bed and began unpacking their equipment and personal belongings.

"Stark, if I'm going to be able to keep up these illusions, you have to take off the limiters," Loki pointed out as he hung a dress shirt into a closet.

"Tomorrow, maybe. You don't need to have 'em up tonight. We only need them up before we leave the room tomorrow," Tony told him grudgingly. Loki let the illusions fall and tried to hold back a sigh as the strain on his body released, embarrassed at how tired he became from such a simple task. It was already quite late, so they got themselves ready for bed, taking turns in the bathroom before hopping into their respective beds and falling asleep.

Nat woke up and chose violence that morning. She was the first awake, and, not wanting to wait for the boys, she decided to help them speed things along. The ex-assassin went to the bathroom, took the two glasses standing on the sink, filled them with water, and strode back to the beds. She then poured them out on the men's faces. They both shrieked and spluttered curses at her, very manly shrieks and curses, of course.

"Wake up. It's time for breakfast," Natasha announced as she strode into the bathroom once more, locking the door behind her. The two wet men looked at each other for a moment before getting out of the plashy beds and readying themselves for the day. It was the day of the event, and Tony had decided that they would go out and buy some outfits for the night to fit their aliases better.