Wattpad Original
There are 42 more free parts

BONUS ~ care

verb ~ feel affection or liking to; attach importance to something

PHOENIX

After the scans, we sent Nova back into the now warm hospital room. I stayed with her; sitting her head in my lap seemed to calm Ares. He wanted to go rip a storm up and kill every last rogue wolf he could find. But in this position, I could feel every breath she made and the thrumming of her heart as she slept.

She had been in hospital for a few hours now; it was around nine but I hadn't left. The hospital was getting busier since I saw flashes of people passing by the foggy door.

A knock sounded and Kate walked in with Nova's paperwork on a clipboard. "How is she?"

"Warmer," I muttered, stroking her hair.

She nodded and stood beside the heart monitor, checking the drip bags too. "She's doing fine thankfully. Her vitals look good. The medicine and steroids I've given her should help wake her wolf as it did to Gamma Sean. Speaking of... he got the news that she had been found."

I raised an eyebrow. "He did?"

"Beta Charlie doesn't seem to know what secrecy is." She smiled awkwardly.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Just Sean I hope, I don't need a million wolves storming in here."

Her eyes darted to the door and I noticed the apprehension in her features.

"What?"

"Well... he is here... as are his sister, her mate and Beta Charlie." She blushed.

I groaned and shook my head. "I'll speak to them once I know she's definitely going to be okay."

She nodded and turned her attention back to the clipboard. "Well, from the top. Her ankle is fractured but we already knew that hence the cast. A couple of ribs are fractured too, but mainly bruising and swelling. Her shoulder had been dislocated again, the same one that was injured previously but I have popped that back in already... There's severe trauma to her skull and jaw, it... looks like she had been beaten."

I growled and forced myself to remain calm through deep breaths. "So now what?"

"We hope the antidote kicks in, we get her dressed and hope she stays warm, and that her heart rate stays steady. Getting her through the night is a priority." She explained.

"Would my blood help?" I asked.

"It would. I have the supplies right here." She gestured to a nearby drawer, already prepared.

"Take as much as you need," I grumbled, holding my arm out for her.

She grinned and began to set up a tray of the instruments needed. Blood sharing was a sacred thing, something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I barely felt the prick of the needle as she began, my attention never away from the wonder in my arms. She was so strong...

I eventually felt the needle pull away and Kate smiled in thanks. She began to organise and hook it up to a cannula on Nova's elbow. It took a while as Nova's veins were weak, no doubt from malnourishment and her blood loss. Once it was hooked up, she sighed in relief.

"One bag should do it." She smiled.

I inhaled deeply again and close my eyes. I didn't want to do this, but the growing crowd outside, could not be ignored.

I looked at Kate. "Can you and stay with her whilst I go speak to everyone?"

Her gaze softened and she nodded. I began to slide out from under Nova, laying her head onto the pillow gently. She didn't move or stir, her body falling into the comfort of the bed. I sighed and gave her one last glance before leaving the room.