Chapter 70

The following day, the Krastian council held a meeting to discuss and finalize plans for the war.

However, the meeting was certainly strange to all of the officials.

First, Celine had walked into the court and was officially introduced to the public eye. She didn't feel the need to hide her appearance as she confidently strode into the room filled with court officials. The court was immediately enraptured by her unique appearance, shocked that the veiled, mysterious woman was far more beautiful than they had ever imagined. They were completely taken away by her colored eyes and silvery hair, mouths wide open as if she was not a human but a fairy. Her looks were the complete opposite of the standard Krastian woman, yet she had easily captured everyone's attention. They were stunned by her unearthly beauty, almost convinced that they were in the presence of a goddess.

The men were especially surprised to witness the emperor peering over at Lady Celine with a soft glance. They could understand why the emperor had rejected the most beautiful woman in Krastia as they quietly observed the spectacle before them. 

Emperor Akihiko smiled a smile filled with years of love and longing. His gaze softened in Celine's presence, and he appeared much more youthful. The court officials were stunned into silence. Celine tried her best to remain expressionless and ignore the obvious stares from the same men she had been planning for months. The eyes of the partners who she had guided and gained the respect of turned from admiration into amazement.  They were blushing at the realization that she had stood close to them before.

However, the emperor made a shocking announcement that destroyed any attempt of Celine's goal to enjoy a peaceful life.

"In terms of trading, agriculture, and improving the country's efficiency with such genius technology, Lady Celine and her family have brought wealth and prosperity to my reign that will last for many years. She is worshipped and admired by the people, a symbol of good fortune for this empire. She is surrounded by auspicious power, and she is also a symbol of strength to my people. Therefore, I appoint Lady Celine as an Empress candidate. She has proved herself to be the only woman worthy of the title, and I will be courting her."

Celine's jaw nearly dropped to the floor in shock, and she was sure that her gasp was the loudest in the entire courtroom. Unrest and the sound of suppressed coughs filled the air as nobles whispered amongst themselves. They had expected Celine to be the first concubine, and would never have imagined that the emperor would appoint a non-Krastian woman as the sole Empress.

Even Celine was aware of the complications that would occur in the future, and how dangerously proud certain nobles could be of their bloodline. There was a mix between dismay and curiosity, for the situation was slightly more favorable for Celine since the foreign lady possessed a familiar dragon like the emperor. Some believed that the match would further bring prosperity despite the lack of Krastian blood in Celine.

After dropping the sudden news, the emperor refocused the attention and continued to plan for the war, halting all side conversations. The council had no choice but to move on to the next topic.

However, Celine was distracted during the entire meeting, barely retaining any information. She blinked multiple times until finally her eyes narrowed in anger, staring daggers into the Emperor who deliberately avoided her gaze. Later, after filling in with all the details she missed from Sir Vigos, she was granted a private audience in his quarters.

"Your majesty, why did you publicize such an absurd statement that I did not agree to?" Celine marched in, disregarding the formal greetings.

"So that the court officials will stop pressuring me nor complain about the lack of women in the palace. Plus I am courting you, so I was just announcing my sincerity." The emperor replied nonchalantly with a victorious smile smeared on his lips.