Chapter 72

The palace was turned upside down as the war came closer. The country was preparing for war, and Celine was in a frenzy as she oversaw the preparations and hurriedly created more herbs and medicinal treatments with the healers. She had personally asked the blacksmith to create an armor for Red and Draco to withstand an onset of arrows which took up all of her free time. She was emotionally drained and anxious, for she had never been to a battlefield before. She worried over the soldiers' safety, for Celine had become closer with each of the men and women involved. Most of the drafted soldiers were young and filled with endless energy, which made Celine adamant about ensuring their survival and safe return home.

Due to the busy schedule, her relationship with the emperor was forced to be mended for the time being. She worked closely with the Emperor who taught her how to defend herself and wield a sword. Celine felt nostalgic and the awkward tension briefly went down. At the same time, the feelings and attraction Celine feared would grow unfortunately grew.

She couldn't help but feel attracted to a man who had become a confident and wise leader. He offered her comfort and familiarity as she grew increasingly anxious over the war. He calmed her nerves and fears whenever she felt overwhelmed. Celine could only appreciate his warm presence that was like a pillar.

A couple of nights before their departure, the soldiers drank with the emperor to loosen the stress and burdens of battle preparations. Both men and women mingled flirtatiously, and the adrenaline coursed through everyone's veins. The people wanted to spend their last moments  happy and escape reality, for no one knew what misfortunes the war would bring.

Celine felt the same way, and she drank many cups of liquor, becoming tipsy and giggly before she knew it. The drunk people flocked around her, praising her for the technological and medicinal advancements.

"Because of Celine and the Emperor, we will surely win the war!"

"Lady Celine is so beautiful and also a genius!"

The compliments made Celine smile warmly. As she spoke to the men, her eyes drifted towards Akihiko very frequently. Perhaps the alcohol was the culprit for the tug in her heart. However, her mind was filled with the emperor that night, and she didn't feel the need to push down such odd emotions anymore. He eventually caught her stares and smirked. 

However, Celine was feeling bold and walked over to the emperor. Now that she was drunk, Celine could finally be honest to herself. He had slowly permeated into her heart and the love for the emperor had transformed into something deeper. The thought was overwhelming, yet drunk Celine couldn't think logically anymore. She couldn't deny that she saw Akihiko in a different light.

"Aki. . ." She called out softly.

The officials surrounding the emperor coughed in embarrassment after hearing their stoic leader call out to another man seductively. The emperor was not drunk, and he only laughed at Celine's adorable form. Her cheeks were stained red by the alcohol, and she looked lovely when smiling so radiantly.

"Yes, Celine?" He extended his arm out and gently helped the woman to her seat.

"We really came this far, Aki. . ." Celine accepted his help and sat like a child guided by its mother. She stumbled and nearly lost her balance, yet the emperor held her back firmly. "I'm very proud of you. You really grew up so well."

She unconsciously scooted closer, leaning in to breathe his fresh scent. She closed her eyes as she felt the floor spinning making her dizzy. "I'm so afraid of what will happen. . . I never thought I would ever go to war. . . I'm scared that some of us won't make it back. . ." She smiled sadly, looking around her surroundings, watching everyone laugh joyfully and not paying any attention to them. Were they all secretly sad and terrified like she was? Were they all pretending to be strong?

"I will protect you and my people. All you need to do is take care of yourself." He answered simply as if such heavy thoughts did not weigh down his mind.

She rested her chin on the palm of her hand and admired the emperor. He sat in the most luxurious robe, wearing a divine color as deep as Red's scales. His silky black hair was braided, revealing his cold, narrow eyes. Next to the emperor, Celine felt underdressed in her simple beige colored gown. She hadn't been given time to restock her cosmetics, prompting her to go makeup free. The only fanciful part of Celine today was her braided hair which was pinned tastefully into a Krastian-style updo. Still, the emperor watched her as if her beauty exceeded all standards. It made her feel nervous.

"I know the chances of us winning is very high. To be honest, I really feel bad for creating new weapons. . . I feel as if I have changed the course of history. . . But I just. . . We just can't lose the war." She mumbled, and the emperor strained his ear to hear. "It's worth it! I will take care of everyone!" She announced brightly, before slumping back down.

The emperor only raised his eyebrow and leaned even closer, smoothly brushing her hair away from Celine's face. He froze as he had never seen Celine in such a vulnerable state. He wanted to pour kisses all over her cheeks yet he refrained himself. "I think you drank enough for the night. I will call for a servant to take you back."

"Your majesty, I've been wondering for a while now, but I must ask you a question." Celine spoke slowly, ignoring the emperor and grabbing his arm. The emperor sat still as she pulled him closer so she could whisper into his ear. He could only look at her in wonder as her voice tickled his ears.

Without waiting for a response she asked, "Why do you love me so much, your majesty?"

*****