Chapter 12

"What do you mean?" I stared at him with wide eyes. Did Nex lie to me? Did he break the promise?

"Did you really believe Nex was going to just let them go?"

My legs started shaking and my ears started ringing. This man has to be lying. "You're lying."

"Why would I lie to you?"

"Because you want me to hate Nex."

He froze for a second before continuing. "Your friends are dead."

"No they aren't." I said. I'm not sure if I was saying that to him or myself. I didn't want to believe him at all.

"I can take you out back if you would like. I'll dig them all back up just for you."

"If you aren't lying, then why did he kill them?" I asked.

He looked around the room and then back at me. "He no longer needed Noah's son's help."

"Billy? Why?"

This whole thing seemed to get crazier and crazier, and more hard to believe the longer the conversation went on. What had Billy done to help out Nex?

"Of course none of it was intentional, on Billy's part." Matthias sat down on the corner of my bed before continuing. "Nex planned on killing Billy after blackmailing Noah, but then found another use for him. Nex implanted a small tracker into the wound on Billy's face, that way he knew when your friends would show up. He thought literally everything out."

"There was a tracker in Billy's face?" I said with my mouth hanging open.

"Yes. Nex knew you would immediately try and save Billy from that place. So if you did happen to actually escape, then he would know exactly where you were."

I looked down at my shaking hands, and told myself that this man was lying to me, over and over. No way were my friends dead. No way Nex was the bad guy.

"I can help you get out."

I hastily wiped the few tears that came out and looked at him. "What?"

"I have the key to get out of here." He patted his pants pocket. "Nex makes sure the front door is always locked."

"No."

"What?" He looked at me with his brows furrowed.

"No, I'm staying here. You're lying to me."

Matthias ground his teeth together as he stared at me. After a moment, he took a deep breath with his eyes closed before talking again. "I am trying to help you. Why aren't you letting me help you?"

"Because I know you're lying to me." I threw my hands up in the air angrily.

"I'm not lying." He spat at me.

"Yes you are. Nex saved me from his brother."

Matthias stood back up and slowly walked towards me. I stood my ground as I stared up at him, knowing that if Matthias did anything to me, Nex would hurt him.

"Nex saved me and brought me here. He gave me a bed, food, a nice shower. He saved me." Matthias was now standing right in front of me. So close that I could feel his warm breath on my skin. "He saved me, and loves me."

I opened my mouth to say a few more things, but I was cut off by Matthias's hands wrapping around my throat.