Chapter 18

JASPER'S POV:

Last night was the first time I had the chance to speak with my brother, without the restrictive supervision of my father, in almost a month. Because he does not know everything that my father did, my dad has tried to keep me from 'filling his head with lies' every chance he has. Unfortunately, this means distancing us as much as possible. Luckily, though, my brother spent the night at our grandma's so I was able to reach him through there.

I could hear the disappointing tone in his voice whenever I told him that I wouldn't be coming home at the end of this month. He has every right to be angry at me, I just wish he knew exactly why it is I have been here for so long. It's really hard hearing that from your little brother, knowing that you can't be there for and with him. To sit on the bed and listen to the radio with him, to take him outside and play catch, to make sure he acts right and keeps his grades up...our conversation really took a toll on me.

I'll admit it's been a whole since I could hold my head up high. The last month has taken me through a twister of emotions between punishments to my father's surprising visit and then, of course, my luxurious, extended stay. The most recent conversation between us has been something that I must  consistently be reminded of every morning I wake up at the Academy. I've been in and out of here for so long that I sometimes forget what it's like to be anywhere else but the Academy. That there are places specifically designed for people to have fun. My last trip home was almost five months ago...and I was sent back here after not even twelve days.

Consequently, taking the advice from both Administrators,  I've been having weekly visits with the student counselor. Through these sessions, I've been made aware of how my absence in the family is affecting everyone. He has made it abundantly clear that my absence is not healthy for me, my father, and certainly not for my brother. Therefore, his recommendation was that I try to make amends with my dad to help bridge the gap between me and the rest of the family members.

It's not the first time I've heard this advice, and I used to believe that it would be a betrayal to my mom and our family, but after the talk I had with my brother last night....it sounds like my only option.

______________________________________________

NAOMI'S POV:

"Mr. Davis?" I asked as I slipped to the in-between of the frame of the hallway and his office.

"Naomi, good morning. Come in and shut the door." He motioned me forward and I obeyed.

"Good morning, you wanted to see me?" I asked quietly after feeling a drop in my lower stomach upon seeing the ruler sitting in the middle of his desk.

"I said to come after chores, have you completed yours?" He glanced down at his wrist-watch, almost as if he were waiting for something.

"Yes sir. Are you feeling better?"

He smiled slightly as he straightened the cuffs creeping from his blazer sleeves and then adjusted his tie.

He took a moment to formulate an answer. "Yes, thank you honey. Our book club meeting was exactly what I needed and I appreciate your concern and constant consideration."

"Good." I returned a smile, trying to ignore the strange feeling that I was about to get into trouble for something.

After a brief pause, he stood from his desk, pushing in his chair in a slow and careful manner before continuing. "However, I want to inform you that we are going to return to normal. So I will not hesitate to correct any misbehavior." Folding his arms across his wide chest, he stared down at me.

"Yes sir."

"Now, Mr. Patry told me that you, once again, were up past lights out, reading instead of sleeping as you should have been...you neglected to mention that to me since this happened." Reaching down to grip his belt, he shot me either an intense warning or, God forbid, a hint of what is to come.