Chapter 3: HIStory

Chapter 3: History

Kali.

The most boring part about school is History, but Mr. Bryant makes it worthwhile. I'm more than positive that I'm not the only girl that looks forward to coming to 4th period History class. My eyes slowly roamed from the top of his head down to the soles of his feet; Mr. Bryant was pure perfection. From his low cut, deep wave hair to his full pink, juicy lips, his broad shoulders, chiseled chest, and down to his long legs that I'm sure were just as toned as the rest of him. I bit my lip and crossed my legs tightly just thinking about what his body looked like underneath those professional clothes.

"Is anyone listening to anything I'm saying?" Mr. Bryant snapped, breaking me from my trance.

I slowly glanced around the room, realizing that all the girls were staring at him in awe and all the guys had their attention elsewhere.

"OK, either you guys participate in this open discussion, or we can take a pop-quiz. You pick!" His deep baritone raised slightly.

"Man, we've only been in school like three weeks," Someone in the back of the class complained.

Mr. Bryant gave him a look that said he didn't care, and we unanimously decided to participate in the class discussion.

"Now that I have your attention, who can me tell the cause for the civil war?"

Instantly, all the girls in the class shot their hands up in the air, myself included.

"Keisha," He called on an overachiever in the front of the class causing me to roll my eyes.

"That's easy, slavery," She boasted.

My hand immediately went into the air.

"Kali, care to add something?" Mr. Bryant asked.

"I would," I nodded. "Though slavery is a known explanation for the cause of the Civil War, it's not the true explanation. The Civil War was fought due to the politics behind slavery. The North realized how profitable it was, and therefore tried to declare it unconstitutional. The South decided that they'd rather succeed from the union than lose their slaves, and the North wasn't having it therefore leading to the Civil War."

Mr. Bryant nodded in approval. "Very impressive Kali."

I smiled inwardly, biting on my bottom lip.

"Someone is trying too hard," I overheard my classmate Nick say.

I sharply turned my head towards him, ready to lay him out.

"Someone is clearly trying to get read to filth today, too." I paused and turned my head to the side. "If you spent as much time worrying about your sorry ass grades as you do worrying about me, then maybe you wouldn't be repeating the 12th grade for the second time dumbass." I snapped, causing "oohs" and "oh shits" to erupt throughout the classroom.

"OK class that's enough, settle down! Nick, remove yourself from my class, please. Kali, do not ridicule your peers." Mr. Bryant said, causing the class to die down some, but not completely.

——

4th period was over much to my dismay. After the bell rang I was slow to gather my belongings and pack them all into my backpack. I had about 15 minutes before cheerleading practice started so I was definitely going to make them worth my while.

After placing my bookbag on my back I ran my hands down the front of my skirt to smooth it out. I took a deep breath and made my way towards the front of the classroom, stopping at Mr. Bryant's desk.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat, causing him to look up from the stack of papers he was currently grading.

"Yes Kali? How can I help you?" He questioned.

I twisted my lip to the side and rocked back on my heels a little. I don't know why I was suddenly so nervous, but being this close to him made me feel a little hotter than usual.

"I had a question about the assignment you gave us," I started. "I'm not exactly clear on the instructions. The question was to explain to what extent the protests of our ancestors during the Civil Rights Movement were successful in providing equal rights to all American citizens regardless of race."

"Yes," he motioned for me to continue.

"Well, I'd like to argue that it wasn't that successful." I stated, shifting my weight to my left leg.

Mr. Bryant raised his eyebrow. "Oh yeah? How was it not? Aren't you sitting in a classroom with students of all races, ethnicities, and cultures?" He leaned back in his chair, crossing one extremely toned arm over the other.

My breath got caught in my throat for a second as I imagined him wrapping them around me.

Shaking the inappropriate thoughts from my head I focused on answering his question. "Well yes, but how far have we really gotten? I mean sure we had a black president, and sure businesses are painting 'Black Lives Matter' all over their establishments, but have we seen any real systemic change? Black men are still being incarcerated at a higher rate than their white counterparts.

We are still being lynched in the streets, except now the angry white mob is the police force and instead of a rope they're using guns."

Nodding his head slowly as if he understood my point, Mr. Bryant leaned up in his chair and placed his elbows on the desk. "That is a very valid point Kali, but please don't overlook the sacrifice your ancestors, as you so respectfully called them, made it so that you and I can be standing in this classroom today. It's insensitive and almost disrespectful to say that their efforts were unsuccessful."

Now it was my turn to nod. He did have a valid point. I would have to seriously give this assignment a lot of research and a lot more thought that I'd originally planned.

"I do, however, like your viewpoints," he smiled at me. The type of smile that makes you weak in the knees. Mr. Bryant had unfairly aligned white teeth, and those big lips turning up in both corners did something to my insides.

"Thank you," I responded, sheepishly.

"I look forward to reading your paper — " he started to say. This time he leaned back and crossed one leg over the other, resting his ankle on top of his knee cap. He rested his hands on his ankle, securing his leg in place and smirked at me. "You're a smart girl, Kali. If I didn't know any better I'd think you were just trying to get some extra alone time with me."

Feigning a look of surprise, I brought my hand up to my chest. "Really Mr. B? You think I'd do such a thing?" I laughed, looking off.

I just knew he was on to me at this point, but I remained cool. I did have a few questions about the assignment, but it was no secret he was fine and I did want to spend just a few extra minutes talking to him.

"Yeah, okay. I was born at night just not last night. Go on before you get the both of us in trouble." He used his free hand to shoo me away from his desk.

Both of us? I wondered to myself. Was he interested in me too? Nah, I seriously doubted he would risk his job getting involved with a student, but I couldn't lie. I was curious as hell.

Deciding to leave it alone I grabbed the straps on my bookbag and turned on my heels. "I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, Mr. B." I tossed over my shoulder as I left the classroom, being sure to add an extra sway in my hips. There was no doubt he'd be watching. 

----------

Playlist:

Sza - Hit Different