Chapter 1

“Rick! Rick, wait up!”
I turn around to see Tony running towards me. He has his books in his hands and tries to catch up with me. Tony is THE school nerd so it isn’t a surprise when he gets tackled. He falls face first to the floor, right in front of my feet. I sigh and help him up.
“Are you okay?” I ask.
“Yes. I think so.” He answers.
“Don’t run through the halls and watch where you’re going. That way you won’t be tackled so fast.” I scold him.
He knows I kinda hate it when he does this. He embarrasses me with those stupid actions. Still, I feel sorry for him. He barely has friends. Well, I’m his only friend. And, to be honest, if he wouldn’t be such a nerd, he would be quite popular. I mean, he IS good looking. His wavy dark hair and glasses actually look good on him. He just acts like a fucking nerd.
“We should hurry up and go to class. You know Miss Heij is strict.” He says to me.
“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming. Jeez.”
We proceed to go to the classroom for another boring hour of geography.

Miss Heij is in the middle of explaining the theory when somebody knocks on the door. Nobody is impressed, we all know who it is.
The door slams open and there he is. The ‘badboy’ of the school. He is such a douchebag. He probably fucked his girlfriend during the break.
“Joe! Why are you this late!” Miss Heij asks.
Joe doesn’t answer and just sits down. He slams his feet on the table and takes a bite of a sandwich. I have know idea where the hell he got that from.
“Joe! Feet from the table and don’t eat in the classroom! How many times do I have to tell you!” Miss Heij almost screams.
Joe swallows his bite, looks her dead in the eyes and says: “Theoretically I’m not touching shit, so my feet are not on the table. Also, I didn’t have lunch, so mind your own damn business, witch.”
The look Miss Heij gives him is pure fire and hell. She totally freaks out and screams that he has to leave the classroom. Joe couldn’t give a fuck less and just continues to eat his sandwich. I turn to Tony to see that he totally agrees with Miss Heij and just wants to continue the lesson. Boring guy.
I mean sure, Joe IS an asshole, but he does say whatever the fuck he wants. And he looks hella fine. He has cute blond hair and beautiful eyes. Yes, I still think he is a douchebag.

That exact moment he catches me staring at him. I quickly look away and try to hide the blush and shame. According to his smirk, he saw that too. Why am I so fucking stupid. To be caught staring by THE badboy of the school.
That moment the bell rings and I run out of the classroom to avoid any further contact.

I know Tony always talks with Miss Heij after class, so it isn’t a surprise he doesn’t come after me. I kinda run walk to my locker, hoping Joe doesn’t see me. I don’t want that awkward shit now. I dump some books in my locker and slam the door shut.
“Hi.”
I scream as I see Joe right next to my locker.
“Jesus fucking Christ. What do you want?” I ask.
“Shut your small mouth, you little banker boy. You know I caught you staring.”
He slams me, back first, into the lockers, his hand loose around my neck.
“And you know I hate teasing.” He whispers in my ear.
My breath speeds up and my mind goes numb. The only thought my head allows is: HOLY FUCK.
Joe tightens his hand around my neck for a second, restricting my airflow and making me gasp. Then he releases me and walks away without a word.

I touch my throat, shocked and still feel his grip around my neck. Apparently Tony finished his talk with Miss Heij, because he touches my shoulder and asks: “Are you okay you look like something happened.”
Still spaced out I answer: “I’m- I’m okay. N- nothing happened.”
He shrugs and continues talking like nothing is wrong. I follow him in shock, not even caring where we are going.

Some time later we have a free hour. Joe didn’t do anything anymore. He didn’t even look at me. I don’t know why I feel kind of sad that he didn’t, but it doesn’t matter.
I promised to come along with Tony to get some food. We leave the school for the short walk to the nearby supermarket. Suddenly he starts talking.
“Are you sure nothing happened back there? You looked so shocked.”
“Nothing happened. I told you already! Jesus, don’t be such a cry baby and leave it alone!” I answer kind of angry.
He seems unsettled by the fact that I raised my voice at him. I honestly don’t know why I got so angry there for a second.
“I- I’m sorry. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” He stutters.
“Why do you care about it so much? I can handle things myself.”
“I- I- You know. I- just do. I- I- … You know what. Nevermind.”
“Tony.”
I stop walking and a few seconds later he stops too.
“What.” He says pretty short.
“What is wrong? You are totally flustered. I know you too well for this, so don’t say nothing is wrong.”
“It doesn’t matter. It isn’t necessary for you to know. So can you now leave ME alone.”
“Fuck you with your ‘it doesn’t matter’. It does and you can’t do anything about it. So tell me what is going on.”
He sighs and turns his back to me. He is, and has always been, easily flustered and he always does that. He is so easy to read that he doesn’t want anyone to see his face.
“Come on Tony. You know you can tell me anything. I’m not your friend for nothing.”
“Not now, Rick. Please. I’ll tell you later. I promise.”
I don’t answer, knowing he won’t tell me anything more. I start walking again, talking about stupid shit like video games.