Chapter 26

My heart pounded wildly from the sudden slam. The rain was thick enough that I couldn't make out the features of the police officer. A small part of me knew that it probably wasn't a police officer even though he had a police car. I should have driven away without opening the door but I was afraid of angering him further. Besides, the roads were dangerously slippery and I wasn't that good of a driver to venture out in such weather.

        The hand knocked on the window again. Trying to gather courage miraculously from the air, I rolled down the window. In a raincoat with the hood pulled over, Micheal's sweet face made my stomach turn with relief. Okay, it was only him. Even though my great escape didn't end up to be so great after all, I'd rather face the wrath of Micheal than Cage's.

        "Why?" His voice was clipped and short with anger.

        I stared at my bloodied thighs. "Because Cage wasn't going to let me go back home unless I took matters into my own hands. And so I took matters into my own hands."

        "November, do you know how absolutely fucking reckless-" Micheal cut himself off, trying to control his temper. He took a deep breath and looked back at me, his brown eyes holding a dark shade of disappointment. "That was a very stupid thing to do. Why are you covered in blood, November? What happened?"

        Micheal deserved the truth and I was going to give that much to him. He was the only person who honestly made an effort to treat me nicely. As regretful as I felt for giving up the chance to go back home so easily, I didn't want to take my frustrations out on Micheal. "I took that stupid tracker out." I admitted with some contempt. "So how did you find me anyways since I destroyed it?"

        Micheal rolled his eyes. "There's a tracker in the car, too."

        "What?" I yelled with anger. "Where?"

        "After the stunt you just pulled, I'm not telling." He replied wearily. "Come on. I'm taking you back to Delia's. And before you try convincing me to let you go, just remember that it's not up to me to make that decision. Cage gave me an order and I will follow it no matter what. Your freedom is not up for negotiation." Micheal reached inside and pulled keys out of the ignition. "Get out of the car, November."

        Even though I had no way of escaping now, I didn't move. Micheal pulled open the door, letting the rain inside. Still, I made no effort to get out of the car. "How did you get a police car, Micheal?"

        "We killed the owner and hijacked the car. It was the only way you'd willingly pull over anyways. Cage couldn't risk a car chase in this weather." His offhand reply startled me. "Let's go."

        I patted my arm, trying to soothe the burning pain. "So Cage is okay?"

        Micheal sighed. "Yes, November. He pulled through, just like I said. But I would recommend that you apologize to him as soon as you get in. He's....I've never seen him that angry, November. I'm not going to lie to you and say everything's fine. After Delia fixed his wound, he was supposed to rest. But would you like to know what Cage did? As soon as he found out you stole the car and left, he started to break things and throw them around the room. Delia locked the door and let him ride out his anger. He's pretty pissed at you so please, for your own safety, be careful, November. Now let's go-"

        "One more question." I said nervously. What Micheal just said only made me even more terrified of going back to Delia's. I didn't want to face Cage for anything in the world. "How is Cage even alive? That bullet-"

        "November, it was a very small bullet and it didn't hit anything important. Cage got lucky. Please, can you just come with me? You're going to catch a cold." Micheal tugged gently on my good arm. With some apprehension, I got out of the car and followed him back to the police car.