thirty two

the puddings, food and the lot had disappear as the four tables of students begin to feel warm and sleepy and full of food.

albus clears his throat. "just a few more words now that we've all been fed and watered. i have a few start of term notices to give you."

he smiles at you and you give him a shy one back. the slytherins are staring at you.

you're an ally, y/n. they had said.

"first years should note that the forest in the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. and a few of our would do well to remember that as well."

he glances accusingly to the gryffindor table where fred and george weasley bow graciously out to the rest of the hall. there is a short hum of giggles across it.

"i have also been asked by mr. filch, our caretaker, to remind you that magic should not be used between classes in the corridor."

he extends a hand to a slim woman with white feathery hair and what looks like leather sports trousers and a yellow quidditch robe.

"quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term and anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact madam hooch."

he pulls his hand back and plays with a single bead on his necklace. "-and finally i must tell you that this year, the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to anyone who does not wish to die a very painful death."

fluffy.

a few miscellaneous laughs could be heard as albus warns the lot of you. you watch harry mutter nervously to percy and the red head waves a dismissive hand as he reassures him but with a small frown on his face- directed towards the headmaster.

"and now, before we go to bed, let us sing the school song!"

you watch as the teachers tense up besides minerva who seems to be as tight lipped and stern as always.

"off we go."

the school bellows the song, laughing and singing proudly.

'hogwarts, hogwarts, hoggy warty hogwarts,
teach us something please,
whether we be old and bald,
or young with scabby knees,
our heads could do with filling,
with some interesting stuff,
for now they're bare and full of air,
dead flies and bits of fluff,
so teach us things worth knowing,
bring back what we've forgot,
just do your best, we'll do the rest,
and learn till our brains all rot!'

everybody finishes the song at different times, leaving just weasley twins left singing at the end to a slow funeral march.

"ah music." albus sighed, wiping tears from his eyes. "a magic beyond all we do here! now bedtime. off you trot!"

there is a rise in chatter and the students begin to talk excitedly amongst themselves. the first years look to the prefects of each house and they are led away from the tables.

you and the rest of the slytherins tail gemma farley, making your way down to the dungeons.

taking a pair of stone staircases, you stick close to gemma smiling at who you recognise as professor flitwick as you turn a corner.

"y/n." you hear someone call you.

you turn around and daphne walk briskly towards you.

"god, i'm full." she sighs, catching up with you. "all this walking is giving me a stitch."