Chapter LXIX - Brother

"I'm not looking at him like..." Elizabeth's voice trailed off into nothing as she watched Bucky push his way around the team and over to her.

"You're a terrible liar Doll." He placed his hands on her hips and ducked down as she looked to the floor. He would not let her fall into herself on this. "What aren't you telling me Lizzie?"

Elizabeth sighed as she met his steady gaze and her lip trembled as she tried to hold back her fear.

"I'm scared James. I'm scared and I'm tired. I'm tired of never getting peace." As her tears came she buried her face in his chest and he gently stroked her hair, holding her; soothing her. "I just want some peace with you, that's it. That's all I want."

"I know Lizzie," he pressed a soft kiss into her hair, "and we will get that peace, okay? Just one more fight; one more battle. Then it's just us and peace. I promise."

The team split, retreating into Loki's room or making their way to the main compound as Bucky held her. He said nothing else. Nothing he could say would soothe her right now.
He stood with her pressed against him, his arms safe around her and he let her break, knowing she had the strength to put herself together when she was ready.

Elizabeth clung to him, focusing on the feel of his arms wrapped around her; the softness of his skin and the surprising comfort of the cold metal that held her so gently. She focused on the rhythm of his breathing, the steadiness of his heart. She focused on him. He was her reason to fight. Every fight that came her way; every threat that snuck up on them; every single person or creature or god or nightmare paled in comparison to her desire for her happy ending.

She wanted the picket fence and the family dinners. She wanted the big yard with space for Dugan to play and the tiny nursery with their child sleeping peacefully. She wanted it all and she was terrified she would lose it before she ever got to have it.

"Hey Princess," Sam stood awkwardly in the door of Loki's room, his hands in his pockets and a sympathetic smile on his lips. "Spiderkid is getting a little antsy because he wanted to steal your cyborg for a few rounds. Wanna grab that puppy of yours and go for a walk?"

Bucky pulled from Lizzie's arms, cupping her face in his hands and kissing her softly.

"What do you want to do Doll?"

Elizabeth smiled sadly as she reached up to touch his face. She brushed her fingers over his cheek, the scratch of his stubble under her skin soothed her.

"It's okay Bucky." She pulled him to her, leaving a chaste kiss against his lips. "Go train with the kid. Sam? Just give me half an hour to get Dugan and pull myself together, okay?"

Bucky nodded silently, watching as she walked down the corridor and away from the storm that had fallen upon her in the small medical suite that was her home from home.

Sam sighed as Bucky ran his hands over his face and tried to shake off the anxiety building in his chest.

"Don't worry man." His voice was soft as he offered him a comforting smile. "I called Sharon. She's gonna join us, maybe get her to talk a bit."

Bucky's shoulders slumped as he leant against the wall and glanced to his unlikely friend.

"Thank you," he murmured. "Just keep her close, okay? We have no idea where this Thanos guy is." Tears sprang in his eyes and he cleared his throat, lifting his gaze to the ceiling. "Keep her safe."

"Always Buck," Sam nodded.

*

There was a warmth that clung to the air like pollen clings to the bees; unknowingly, unaware, unencumbered. The soft sigh of the branches that rustled above, with buds of leaves and blossoms that promised new life and fresh starts danced in the gentle breeze that caressed the earth around her. Her eyes were closed as she felt the buzz and hum of connectivity, as she let the rhythmic beat of the earths core deep into her self, as she found a way to block out the panic.