Chapter 131

There's a start-of-year party already going on downstairs. Sirius and I are still getting ready. I borrowed a dress of Lily's for tonight. It's blue and silky and it reminds me of water. Sirius is standing in front of the mirror, intently focused on putting product in his hair. He's dressed in a blue button-up to match my dress, the top few buttons left undone. "Are you drinking tonight?"

I'm feeling careless. "I will if you will."

He smirks and finally turns away from his reflection. His expression changes as his eyes rake down the span of my body. He swallows. "Fuck, I love you in these tiny dresses."

My face is on fire. "I know."

He moves closer. I'm stuck to the floor. He's close enough now that our bodies are pressed up against each other. He smells incredible, familiar, like his usual expensive cologne. Gently, he takes my face in his hands and tilts my head back to look up at him. "How long do you reckon we could last without kissing?"

The unexpectedness of his question makes me laugh. "I don't know."

"Shall we make tonight more interesting then?" He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. I'm intrigued. "First one to kiss the other on the lips loses."

I have a lot of faith in my self-control, and I know from past party experiences that Sirius is a horny drunk. "What does the winner get?"

"Bragging rights." He says. I nod my head in agreement. His hands fall from my cheeks and he entwines our fingers together. "Ready to head down there?" I nod again and he starts leading me out of the room.

I've never seen the Gryffindor common room so filled. This party is exclusive to students of fifth year and up. Crowds of people are dancing to the blaring music, couples are making out in corners, friends are having deep conversations, drunken games are being played. Everyone appears to be having the time of their lives.

Sirius squeezes my hand tighter in his as we weave our way through the crowds. We stop in front of a table covered with beverages. Sirius swipes a bottle of Firewhiskey. He opens it, takes a long swig, and then offers it to me.

I don't give myself enough time to hesitate as I fill my mouth with the golden brown liquid. I slosh it around in my mouth before swallowing. I'm suddenly coughing violently, the vile liquid burning my throat. Sirius laughs at me, watching as I take another big gulp. I notice an initial sweetness but I can't tell if I like it or not so I go in for a third taste. A fourth. A fifth. I pass it to Sirius and he chugs the rest.

As the seconds pass, a warmth blossoms deep within me. I feel relaxed, lighter, like I weigh nothing at all. I feel like I'm floating. If Sirius weren't still holding my hand, I could be up at the ceiling. I smile and it feels lopsided but I don't care. This is nice. I tell him I want more and he opens up another bottle for us to share.

We finish that one too. I feel clumsy, swaying on my feet, but I like it.

Sirius's touch feels more intense. I become fascinated by his hand and the way it holds mine. My eyes roam from his hand to his arm, his chest, his neck, his jaw, his lips, his nose, his eyes. He isn't looking at me, his eyes are searching the room. Midwinter grey ebbed ever so gently with blue. I'm jealous of anyone those eyes are on right now.

I'm convinced he can read my mind because his eyes flash back to me. "You alright on your feet?" God his voice is so velvety, like creamy chocolate. I think I say yes because he's suddenly pulling me across the room again.