CHAPTER 24

An unexpected betrayal

Fili was enchanted by the beautiful woman who was serenely sleeping in his arms, wonder and love shone in his eyes, while he played with some of her brown locks, rolling them up between his fingers. He loved her, oh if he loved her! Every fiber of his being, every beat of his heart, every thought, every dream were for her. Erebor's most precious gem, the Arkenstone itself, was worthless compared to Arya.
The course of those thoughts was interrupted by the sudden opening of the door. The dwarf jolted slightly, but relaxed to see Kili at the threshold.

"Morning! You worn her out, brother. Was it good?"

The young dwarf joked, getting a nasty look.

"You really don't know what "knocking" means, do you?! It's none of your business, you little rascal!"

Fili replied in kind.

"Yeah, whatever, Fi. You can't dodge my questions forever."

"Kili, if you don't stop yelling right now, you're gonna get a pillow in your face!"

Arya complained, her voice still kneaded by sleep, capturing the attention of the two dwarfs, who burst into laughter.

"Good morning."

Fili whispered to her, lowering his face to get close to hers.

"Good morning."

She murmured back, raising her head and leaving a sweet kiss on his lips.

"You're really cute, and I'm so very sorry to interrupt, but Thorin needs everyone at the gate: the elves are here."

Kili asserted, with a bit of concern in his voice.
The two lovers glanced at him and nodded, before seeing him turn his back, ready to go out.

"Ah! I almost forgot! I went down to the armory earlier. Check these out, Arya."

He added, placing a bag next to the door, before leaving them alone to prepare.
Arya smiled, and then reluctantly separated from her beloved, slipped out of the blankets and got dressed.
Fili imitated her gestures, sighing melancholy. Then, he approached the bag that his brother had brought and started snooping inside.

"Look what that brat has found. These are perfect for you."

He stated, handing the woman two twin daggers, of medium length and quite thin.

"Well, they're certainly better than the two blades I got at Laketown."

She agreed to take them and put them in the sheaths behind her back.
The bag also contained a longer and thicker sword, with the handle engraved by runes and a white gem embedded on top. It was gorgeous and of an excellent workmanship. Arya immediately hooked it to her belt. Then her eyes rested on a beautiful bow in yew wood, with the edges decorated, which was inserted, along with at least twenty arrows, in a simple leather quiver. Arya tied that too behind her back. She was ready.

When Fili, with the help of the woman, was also clothed in his armor, the two went to the bastion, where the whole company was already assembled.

"Ah! It was about time! Where have you two been?"

Bofur joked when he saw them coming.
Fili merely smiled and walked up to the side of Thorin, opposite to his brother. Arya followed him, remaining a few steps back, close to Balin.

At the foot of the mountain, at the head of an army of men and elves, there were Bard, riding on his white steed, and Thranduil, at his side, on the back of a moose.
Thorin picked up the bow and shot an arrow at the Elf Lord's feet.