Chapter 1

A cool liquid started splashing onto my face and I greedily opened my mouth to drink it all. It felt so good to have that coolness when everywhere else was so hot. Sooner than I was hoping for the water stopped. "Get up," a rough voice demanded.

I forced my eyes opened and immediately began to squint as the searing sun tried to fry my retinas. A large looming figure stood over me but I couldn't make out any features. I put my hand over my eyes and tried to clear my view.

The darkness helped a bit and I could make out the man. His black hair was short with a buzz cut and his brown eyes were examining my body. He let out an impatient sigh at my slowness and took the hand that was covering my eyes and hauled me upright. My head rolled backward, as a wave of dizziness hit me full force. I closed my eyes quickly to regain my sense of balance. "Thank you," I told the mysterious man.

He huffed in reply and I opened my eyes to really see him. Once my eyes made eye contact with his, he gasped and released my arm. He quickly fell to his knees on the sandy ground and bowed. "You did not tell me you were a goddess," he mumbled with embarrassment.

"What? I... I'm not a goddess," I replied. Well, at least I didn't think so. Maybe I was and that was why I kept appearing and disappearing from places.

He shook his head in disagreement and insisted, "You have the eyes of a God."

"Oh that's really sweet, but they're just ordinary blue," I reassured him.

He looked up at me startled, as if I had just said the dumbest thing ever spoken, and said, "Only the Gods have lighter coloring. I should have known by your hair. I'm sorry for thinking it was just the sand."

My hand went to my light blonde hair and I felt even more confused. Blonde hair wasn't exactly a rare find. Plenty of women dye their hair this exact shade. "I'm sorry but I'm confused," I admitted to the man.

"No!" He responded, "I'm sorry. I'll take you to the Pharaoh so you can be with those like yourself."

Like myself? Does he mean people who disappear? Or does he mean Gods? He definitely means Gods.

"I don't think that'll be necessary," I tried to convince him.

"Please your holiness. I insist. Anubis will treat me well in the life to come if you allow me to be your guide. I will protect you with my life," he begged.

I quickly grabbed his hands that were laying against the hot sand and pulled him up. "You don't have to give your life for me," I said.

"It would be an honor to," he replied, "Please... allow me to be your guide."

"How far from the Pharaoh are we?" I asked feeling my resolve crumbling.

"About a three-hour journey," he answered, "Less if we're fast."

I looked around and saw that there wasn't another living soul in sight. It was just sand and desert for what looked like miles. I'll never make it out of here alone... at least not alive. "Fine. You can guide me back to civilization... but you don't need to take me to the Pharaoh," I relented.

He raised his head and responded, "Of course! I know some people that can help you as well if you don't want to go to the Pharaoh." I gestured for him to lead the way and he started walking.

We were walking for a long time before I finally couldn't take his nonstop stare and the deafening silence. "What's your name?" I asked.

"Roy Thars. I'm a scout for the empire," he answered.

My eyebrow shot up and I wondered, "Empire?"

His walking stumbled and he gave me a confused look. "Of course. The Egyptian empire. We've been around for centuries. How did you not know that?" He replied.

I stopped walking and felt my stomach drop. This can't be happening. The Egyptian empire was destroyed years ago. The country Eygpt doesn't even exist anymore. It was bombed so badly in the war that the country was dismantled. "Are you messing with me?" I questioned

He raised his eyebrows and said, "No. Eygpt is the most powerful country in the world and has been since we took over the Roman empire seven centuries ago."

I said nothing back to Roy. I was too shocked. How can this be? I remember filing the paperwork for relocating the survivors from Eygpt. It's nothing but a pile of ash now.

"Let's get going. If we go any slower it'll end up being a four-hour journey," he told me, "Also I know you said that you didn't want to go to the Pharaoh, but you seem to be having some problems, and the Pharaoh... he's a demigod. He can help you."

I bit my bottom lip and said, "I don't think that's necessary."

"If I may be so bold my holiness," he responded, "I do."

He looked at me and I let out a sigh. He wasn't going to let this go. Whether I wanted to or not he was going to make me see the Pharaoh.