Chapter 2

The city was bustling with activity. Every inhabitant was hurriedly closing their shops, or hastily taking care of any unfinished business before locking themselves behind sealed doors. Mothers were anxiously looking outside their windows for their child amongst the crowd. If they didn't return before night set, they would be in trouble. The king had made it very clear; anyone who roamed the city at night would face the consequences. Only the soldiers were excepted in order to ensure the safety of the people.

Ines' tall figure on the streets caused curious glances, but she didn't pay any attention. She had got used to them ever since she had joined the Bats, the army corps that was known for its stealth and tactical operations. It was said that those soldiers carried out the most hazardous missions of all. Ines wore the corps' symbol with pride.

She passed the great city square, walked past the deserted marketplace, and reached the military camp. Not many soldiers were there anymore, only a few patrolling the area in case someone foolish enough decided to test their fighting skills. Ines entered the yard where they usually gathered before a mission.

'Look who has made it at last! Better late than never, right?'

Ines whipped her head around. A man with black curly hair and sharp green eyes smirked at her. His large build could easily scare off even the deadliest enemy, but she knew better. She gave him her sweetest smile, though her eyes sent daggers.

'Get off your high horse, Matthew,' she scoffed.

'Talking to those kids again?'

'Someone's got to teach them right.' Ines ignored his scrutinizing gaze. She wouldn't let him get under her skin. 'Any idea what they called us for?' she asked him.

Matthew shrugged his shoulders. 'I hope it won't involve falling from 20 meters like last time. My buttocks are still killing me. I am sure the ladies of this city have missed me, and I don't want to make them wait any longer.'

Both chuckled and approached the stand. No more than seconds passed and the captain walked to the front to give information about the mission. His booming voice reached the back of the small group where Ines and Matthew stood. The men eagerly turned their attention to the captain's imposing figure.

'There have been reports of unusual activity south of the city. People have gone missing and the animals around the area are showing unprecedented hostility. Our intel is very limited. We don't know yet what we will be facing. Our task is strictly to surveil and track any strange movement. There will be no action. I repeat. No action. Get ready for the mission.'

After finishing his announcement, the captain signaled them to hurry up. The soldiers slowly dispersed, each of them getting their weapons. Ines watched them. Like every time they were preparing for a mission, she felt ready, energy coursing through her veins. Since she was a kid, she could always remember herself looking forward to some action.

She wasn't like any other woman in the city. Her past had made her rough, but strong. She grew up fighting every man who told her she was unworthy. Each obstacle was a challenge that fueled her determination to become better than any man. Growing up she learned to keep her femininity a secret. For the others she was a puzzle they couldn't solve. No one knew they had a woman amongst them, and she had to keep it that way. Who knows what price she would pay if they learned about her deceit. She could trust no one, so it was just easier being alone.

Ines shook her head. She didn't have time for distractions. She checked her sword and adjusted her armour. When everything was deemed to be alright, she exited the camp and started walking towards the main gate of the city. Not a sound could be heard. Only the footsteps of a careless soldier broke the quiet of the night occasionally, only to be silenced by a more experienced one. Ines stayed in the back of the group, away from the others. As they were nearing the gates, she sensed someone from behind.

'The kidnappings have increased lately. Nowhere is safe at night anymore. Do you think it has to do with what is happening down there?' Matthew asked.

Ines wondered why the sudden interest in talking to her. It wasn't like they could stand each other's presence. It was true that they grew up together at the camp, but as kids they could barely talk without taking each other's eyes out. After fighting a gazillion times and getting whipped for their over emotional behavior, they decided to just ignore the other's existence as much as possible. Of course, that was difficult when they had to fight side by side, so they permitted a few exceptions for the sake of their own dignity.

Ines sighed. Today she could be the bigger person. 'I am not sure, but we will find out sooner or later, right?' she answered.

'Right. By the way, I wouldn't mind throwing some punches every now and then. All we get to do is report and let the other corps have all the fun.'

'The wise man watches and learns. Then strikes. We should be cautious. We don't want you sporting any bruises on your charming face now, do we?' She was losing her patience.

'I am happy to hear my charms have come to your attention at last.' Matthew smirked at her, while she snorted in disgust.

'Leave that for the girls back in town. We'd better not compromise this mission, or else we will get in trouble...' Ines turned her back at him and walked away.

This could go so much wrong.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're still here?

Phrase of chapter:  μηδ ναβάλλεσθαι ς τ αριον ς τε νηφι / do not procrastinate for tomorrow and the day after tomorrow [what you can do today] - Hesiod