thirty seven

Luci

: make me (cry)  -noah cyrus

"You love me?"

"Obsessively."

"How could anyone ever love you?"

His words replayed in my mind like a scratched CD. Every word ripping through my heart like a poignant knife.

I wasn't conscious, but rather I was inside of my mind. The serene comfortableness of it made me want to stay inside this little bubble I had created forever.

But alas, all good things must come to an end.

I couldn't stay comfortable forever.

"Suscitatio," a voice whispered.

I gasped and my body shot up quickly. Marcus and Celia hovered over me with concerned looks on their faces. I felt soft cushions underneath me and I realized I had been moved to the couch.

The air around me was thick. It was as if I could feel the tension that had been created.

Celia's eyes were bloodshot red as well as Marcus'. I looked around frantically to put the pieces together but I was growing more confused with everywhere I looked.

"Are you okay?" Celia asked.

I didn't reply however when I saw my own mother standing in the living room a few feet away from me.

Her hands fisted against the collar of Rod's shirt. She was significantly shorter than him but she had a lot of strength. I saw tears running down her cheek, and the way her body shook.

"You've been watching us?" she screamed. "All of these years you've been watching me and my daughter? I thought you were dead! I thought he killed you! You left me all alone when you were the first person I told that I was pregnant! How could you Roderick?!"

He held onto her wrist and winced with every word she screamed.

"Mal, I'm sorry," he whispered. "But you don't know the predicament I was in. I would have told you everything but... I made a deal with him."

Her face fell, and it was almost like the color drained from her dark brown cheeks. She let go of his collar and backed a few feet away from him.

"You made a deal with him?" she asked.

He swallowed tightly and lowered his gaze.
"Yes," he replied. "I did. But I did it for you!"

My mother rolled her eyes harshly and huffed out a breath. Her eyes glanced straight toward the kitchen where Saint's mom was.

"A lot has happened since you passed out," Marcus whispered to me. "Khalil came when you passed out and the twins got their wings. They're not as big as they should be but we figured it's because they are still human," he explained. "They're asleep right now since they lost too much energy, but your mom came here since you weren't home. I guess after you escaped to Azure with Saint she started tracking your phone. Anyway, she saw Roderick and started freaking out. Then Saint's mom came home and well... this is where we're at right now."

His voice was low enough so that only I could hear. I realized then that he didn't want to draw any attention to us since the drama unfolding was too good not to hear.

"Did you know?" my mom asked. "Did you know your husband was a demon?"

Saint's mom slowly nodded and her head hung low. "Yes," she whispered. "I knew."