CHAPTER 2

To my dearest cousin,

My beloved Camilla, it has been far too long.

How are you finding life in Mohnton?

In the royal capital, there are still many rumours floating around about you. In the newspapers, it's written that you're already in the first stages of pregnancy, dear cousin, is that true? If it's so, then I'm delighted for you.

But I can't help but wonder... Will you give birth to a human? Or, perhaps, tadpoles?

Anyways, it has been a full week since you left for the Duchy of Mohnton, my dear cousin. And by the time you receive this letter, I suppose another three days must have past?

By then, Prince Julian and Liselotte will have been formally engaged. Liselotte has received all manner of jewels and dresses from Prince Julian, every time she appears in public all the ladies sigh at her stunning beauty. I'm sure that being so beloved only makes her more charming.

Speaking of being loved, are you not the same? How is life alongside Duke Montchat? I am sure that you are feeling beloved and beautiful. Even if he may look like a swamp-dwelling toad, love is still love, after all. Perhaps, in time, you will attain a type of beauty suited to the swamp, dear cousin. Whenever I talk about it with my friends, I confess to them that I'm most envious of you.

My dearest cousin is married to Lord Montchat, a duke and a distant member of the royal family, after all. You may have become despised by Prince Julian and abandoned by uncle and aunty, but perhaps it was all for the best. My cousin was able to meet a partner who truly matched her perfectly.

Surely no one can interfere in the true love between Lord Montchat, the ugliest man in the world and my cousin, who is hated by the whole world. You compliment each other perfectly. Prince Julian doesn't seem to have forgiven you at all, but that's a mere triviality now that you can rely on your Lord Montchat.

Oh, yes, I just can't help but be envious of you. Actually, I myself decided to get engaged the other day.

My partner is to be Damien, from the house of Count Gunther. It is rather embarrassing to admit as his status carries much less weight than Duke Montchat, but he is still the heir to a county. He is a kind person with a handsome face, though a little on the lean side. But although he's such a nice man, he's very popular with the women, so I do tend to get awfully jealous. I suppose that's something you don't have to worry about much with Lord Montchat?

.....I'm sorry, I just can't help but envy you so much, dear cousin. It seems that I can't help but think about my cousin all the time. Just what kind of amazing life are you leading out there in the bogs? I just can't help but wonder.

In any case, once I get married myself, may I go and visit your lovely home, cousin? I'm sure by that time I'll have plenty of stories from the capital to tell you. I'd also love for you to meet my husband as well. Ah, but, when we do visit, could you please have Lord Montchat wear a name tag? Otherwise, I might mistake him for a common toad.

From your adorable cousin,

Therese

P.S.

Have you received any letters from uncle and aunty? The two of them fawn over me so much, I worry that they may have forgotten about you, cousin. I did say to them that they ought to write, but... No way, by any chance, could their letters have become lost in the post?

After staring at it for a long while, Camilla tore the letter into pieces as if it were garbage.

Opening that envelope in the first place was a mistake. For a long time, Camilla and Therese have been something close to enemies. Since Camilla had always been so sharp-tongued herself and prone to disparaging others herself, it only makes sense that someone who despised her so much would be laughing to the point of tears at her circumstances.