CHAPTER 11

1-11

– I'm so mad!

As Camilla stomped down those cobbled streets, she paid no heed to where she was going.

– How! Dare! They!

Even though her head is burning with anger, the cold air still bit at her skin. But as that rage twinkled in her eyes, Camilla's body kept on moving.

After rushing out of the mansion, she just went wherever her feet took her. Although the colour of the sky became ever darker, Camilla kept going.

The late evening sun sunk towards the horizon quickly, as the shadows of the town stretched ever longer. Businesses that remained shuttered during the day opened up for business, with many ruddy-faced men lining up outside. Women in exotic and titillating outfits called out to entice various merchants and miners who passed by to come inside.

The streetlamps set up around the city flickered to life as the evening passed into night. The bright lights they emitted weren't burned from oil or gas, but took their power from the manastones they used as a battery. These lamps were lit using the refuse manastones that weren't seen as fit for export.

Was it the light of the manastone that signaled the beginning of the town's nightlife? Unlike during the day time, the town took on a more seedy vibrancy than during the day time.

In a place like this, a girl like Camilla inevitably stood out. Wearing a high-class dress, with her hair ornately tied up and with various pieces of jewelry like valuable necklaces and earrings.

Surprised to see a noblewoman in a place like this, people inevitably turned to look at her. But, they quickly looked the other way in a panic when they saw her thunderous face.

– That man! Just who do you think you're pitying!?

As those emotions swirled around in her chest, she didn't keep track of just how far she walked. She had no idea just where in this town she was either. Although she's walked for so long, it seems like she keeps seeing the same sights over and over. Of course, she has no idea how to get back either.

– I will definitely pay you all back!

But, how?

Even the possibility of making Alois slim down was impossible now.

-Even still!

Camilla's yelled back at that doubtful voice in her heart. She won't lose. This much won't bring her down.

As she etched that in her mind, she kept striding down the road.

"Oww!"

And, as she went, something brought Camilla to an unintended stop.

Something had run into her, just a little below her chest. Despite yelling that out, it hadn't really hurt her, instead her bubbling anger was more to do with someone stopping her in the first place.

"Why are you just standing about idly like that!?"

Camilla knew what had bumped into her straight away. Right in front of her, there was a confused looking boy. Perhaps, about 12 years old? He had a patch on his pants and his shirt looked worn out. It was plain to see that he hadn't been living an affluent life.

"What, aren't you just a child!? Why are you out so late!?"

"....What the hell, why are you just bumping into people like that!"

When he first saw Camilla's angry face, the boy had stiffened up as if he were frightened. But, that only lasted an instant. He suddenly became rather cheeky, talking back to Camilla.