CHAPTER 13

1-13

Those heavy footsteps stopped in front of the door to the room Camilla was in.

"Please excuse my rudeness."

He said those words as the door opened.

The person she expected to see suddenly came into view ―――― It was Alois, breathing heavily and dripping in sweat. He had a fierce expression that she had never seen on his face before as he stepped into the room.

The children were cowed into silence by the sudden change in atmosphere. The uproar died down to nothing in an instant. The children clammed up as they hid behind Camilla. Even the boisterous young boy and the old woman were silent as he entered, their eyes wide open in shock.

Alois ignored them all and walked straight to Camilla. As he looked at her, he struggled hard to regain his breath, inhaling and exhaling deeply, interrupted by coughs. Then, he closed his eyes, taking a final deep breath.

But, that hardly seemed to settle down Alois' feelings. When he opened his eyes again, they were incensed with anger.

".....You are..."

Camilla's shoulders jolted in surprise as Alois spoke in a low voice she had never heard him use before. It seemed calm, but the anger bubbling beneath his words was easy to hear.

"You are the kind of person who just runs out into the middle of the night without telling a soul, is that it?"

A single woman walking the streets at night alone. They would either have to be a fool or a harlot. As she realized the implication behind those stinging words, Camilla raised her face.

But when she looked up to scowl at Alois, she was only met by his cold glare.

"Do you understand just how much of an uproar there was when we couldn't find you in your room? I've sent all the servants in the mansion around town to look everywhere for you."

Alois had promised to go with her to the orphanage when he returned. He was probably the first one to notice that Camilla was gone when he came to take her along. There were many people who saw Camilla's exchange with that young boy. After hearing the story from those onlookers, he could easily deduce where Camilla had gone.

"There are a lot of shadowy places in this town and it isn't safe at all. It's a wonder that you weren't kidnapped off the street. I thought you would have at least some sense about you, but I suppose I was wrong for not expressly telling you."

"Ah, Lord Alois, please wait a moment...! This girl, she...!"

As Alois coldly reprimanded Camilla, the old woman in the bed tried to intervene. She wanted to protect Camilla. But, her brave action was cut short by Alois' icy words.

"Old lady, this is an issue between Camilla and I. I am aware that I am intruding in your home and I hope you can bear my unreasonable request, but would you please remain silent for now?"

Despite the words being polite, the connotations felt anything but. The old woman couldn't press him any further and lowered her head, staying silent.

"Camilla, I did everything I could to make sure that you had everything you needed. But, from the beginning, you only ever complained."

"...What are you..."

"Yet still you selfishly took off in the middle of the night, without caring about just how much trouble you caused myself and my household, and whilst I was worried about you here you are having fun in a place like this."

"Having fun... What are you...!?"

Camilla squeezed her fists and spat out those words.

"'I'm exhausted', is that what you're going to say next!? Even though you truly don't care at all!? Why exactly do you think I was on the streets all alone!?"