CHAPTER 19

2-3

When things are this bad, she's left with no choice.

"Lord Alois! We need to talk!"

The doors of that room on the second floor were thrown open. It was the office directly up the stairs from the entrance hall.

And none other than Alois' private study.

His workspace was in the middle of the room, surrounded by high bookshelves. As Alois sat behind his desk, he looked surprised as Camilla came striding in.

– He really is imposing in his own way, isn't he?

Even though documents were piled up all over the desk and floors, it was still easy to spot the huge Alois. He was already quite a tall man, so when you added on all that excess meat he really did cut quite an intimidating figure.

The excavation reports from the mining site in Grenze and elsewhere, along with reports about the density of miasma and the strength of its magical power. Alois still towered over that mountain of reports from all over his territory. Actually, you could see him protruding from the sides of his desk.

"Camilla, is something wrong? If you have something to tell me, can it wait until our usual tea time?"

Alois put his pen down, as he looked confused at why Camilla had stormed into his office looking so incensed.

Just like before they had gone to Grenze, she and Alois still took tea together daily.

Compared to how their talks over tea used to be, things were a little more gentle now. Although it's hard to say that the two of them have much in the way of common interests, Alois can speak about current events and Camilla can tell stories of her days in the capital. And, as far as Camilla is concerned, she doesn't say 'lose weight' quite as much as she used to.

As for their morning or afternoon tea times themselves, there wasn't any change in the heaping of sweets and cakes being served, but Alois didn't eat quite as much of it as he used to. Although to Camilla, it was hard to see much of a change.

But, for now, she's just happy that he's at least showing that he's sincere in wanting to lose weight on his own. He stopped taking a meal between dinner and bedtime, although he still eats those other seven meals and doesn't seem to have lost weight at all, at least there's some progress... She wants to believe.

To be honest, she still has her suspicions.

However, right now there's something else on her mind.

"Lord Alois, do you know about this maid called Nicole!?"

"Nicole?"

"That blonde girl, the one with the freckles! Just who is that girl!? She has been constantly taking over my care on behalf of the senior maids every day since we returned!"

Alois blinked in bewilderment as Camilla raged.

"Ah," then he nodded. It seems like he knows who this Nicole was after all.

"Nicole is taking care of you personally? Shouldn't she only be given some simple cleaning tasks?"

That's right. Nicole's regular job was cleaning the corridors and tidying up the storerooms.

She couldn't wash dishes because she would clumsily drop the plates, she couldn't do the laundry because she would accidentally tear the clothes and gardening was completely out of the question. She was only given tasks that didn't require much skill. So, because of all that, she was relegated to only the most foolproof of cleaning jobs.